-8- two lies and a truth

Peter and Maya sat opposite each other at a booth of a little coffee shop.

Maya had today's issue of the Daily Bugle up to her face, flicking through the pages. Peter was reading the front page. An article on Spiderman.

'Spider-Menace?' it read in big font. Peter rolled his eyes. The front page article went on to questions Spiderman's motives and if he was really a hero or a villain worthy of capture. He let out an agitated sigh and dropped his eyes from the article.

Maya dropped the paper slightly down from her face so her eyes peered over towards Peter. She furrowed her eyebrows at him before placing the newspaper onto the table.

"What?"

Peter pointed towards the front page article. Her eyes followed his finger, she picked up the paper again and studied it. She looked at the photo of Spiderman and back to Peter, a look of pure confusion on her face.

"What about it?"

Peter sighed. "What do you think about him?" He looked to her. "Spiderman, that is"

"Oh" Maya looked back to the paper again. "He seems cool. His butt looks really good in that suit" A cheeky grin came across her face and Peter stifled a laugh, he felt a his cheeks heat up at her words.

"I think he's a good guy getting a bad rap" She continued. "I think people find it easier to believe in super-villains than super-heroes. The thought to some people of some random masked figure having their best interest at heart seems like such a far fetched thing. Especially in this world. But I trust him" She smiled. "He gives me hope that there is good in this world"

A wide smile grew on Peter's face at her words. Maya's words felt to Peter like her blessing to do this. If she believed in him, that's all he needed. All the bad press in the world didn't compete with her belief in him to do good. She trusts him and he'll keep that trust by keeping Maya and everyone safe.

Peter just wished he could tell Maya that he was the one on that cover in that suit. The one giving people hope. The one with the good butt as she so graciously told him.

But he couldn't tell her. It was too dangerous and he refused to put her at any risk of getting hurt. He hated lying to his best friend. They had pinky promised when they were younger to always tell the truth to each other after Maya found out that Peter had lied about being the one to break her skateboard. He eventually confessed to her about it, only after she had accused her dad of accidentally running it over with his car.

Peter decided that this lie was an exception to their promise. Technically, if she doesn't ask if he's Spiderman, he isn't lying, right?

Maya snapped Peter out of his thoughts as she spoke again. "I just wished he was around back then to save my mom" Peter saw Maya eyes starting to gloss over, her tears threatening to fall. She shook her head and shut her eyes, no way was she about to cry in the middle of a coffee shop, 'how embarrassing' she thought. She stood up from the table, motioning him to do the same. She grabbed his skateboard that was leaning against their table and headed for the door.

Peter walked alongside Maya as she pushed herself along on his skateboard. She'll be the first one to admit she was pretty rubbish at it now, though when she was younger she was easily better than Peter, of course he would never admit that.

They headed down to the docks to an empty warehouse that Peter has always used as a little skating spot. Maya kicked the board over for Peter to take as she went and took a seat over on a little work bench to watch Peter.

As she watched him skate around, jumping over obstacles she had set up for him to test his skill, she was in awe. He had improved a lot since last time she came down here with him. He was like, scarily good now.

Peter would be lying if he said he wasn't trying to impress Maya. So when he kicked the board up into his grasp and looked over to her and noticed her eyes intently on him, he felt giddy with delight.

Maya pushed herself off the table and strutted towards Peter.

"Alright big guy. It's the lady's turn now" She went to grab the board off him but he put the board over his head out of his reach. "Really?" She rolled her eyes before jumping for the board. Peter chuckled as he toyed with Maya, putting the board in her reach and then back up again when she went to grab it again.

"You're a fucking child, Parker" She said between laughs as she jumped for it again. This time she got a hold of it and yanked it towards her. "Ah-ha!" But Peter hadn't released his grip from the board, so as Maya yanked it, he caught himself mere inches from her face.

The two stood there, frozen. Staring into each others eyes. A thousand thoughts running through Peter's mind before Maya cleared her throat and took a step back. He watched as she took off on his board. It was his turn now to sit back and watch her.

She attempted the same tricks and jumps Peter had with little success. Taking more tumbles to the ground than landings. Nothing deterred her though, Maya just kept getting back up and trying again. Peter called time as he was concerned her next fall was gonna conclude with a hospital trip.

"No! Come on! One more!" She protested as Peter grabbed the board out of her hands.

Maya argued with Peter to give her 5 more minutes as Peter's eyes caught a glimpse of light purple protruding from the top of Maya's shirt. His hand instinctively reached up and lightly ran over her collarbone. Maya flinched and her eyes trailed to where Peter's hand now was. She looked up to catch his eyes already on her. A serious look on his face.

"Oh, I-uh must have just done that"

"Maya-" Peter started before Maya swatted his hand away and turned around.

"Let's go home. I've got tonnes to do before prom tomorrow anyway"