-14- rooftop confessions

Maya Jackson had her eyes squeezed shut as she felt the wind zip past her and heard the bustling traffic of New York from underneath her. She held onto Peter so hard she was worried she was hurting him. 

Peter stopped on a rooftop and as Maya now stood standing on solid ground, her eyes were still shut, her breathing rapid and knees threatening to buckle at any moment. Peter watched her intently, worried that maybe swinging her through the city wasn't the best way to explain himself. 

Maya opened her eyes and Peter took a cautious step towards her.

"Maya-"

"What the fuck"

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner I-"

"I am so fucking confused right now" 

Peter let out a sigh and pushed down the collar of his shirt to let his Spiderman suit peak out from underneath.

Maya gasped as she took a step away from him.

"No fucking way" Was all she could sputter out.

"I wanted to tell you I just-"

Maya shook her head frantically, as if she was trying to wake herself from some bizarre dream. No way could her best friend, her Peter, be Spiderman?

"This can't be real" She shook as she took another step back.

Peter jumped forward and grabbed her hand. 

"Maya, please stop stepping back. You are on a roof"

Maya looked over her shoulder and could see the cars drive past below her. She allowed Peter to move her away from the edge, but he never let her hand go.

"Please" Peter begged "Talk to me"

As hard as Maya tried, she couldn't get words to come out of her mouth. She tried to halt her racing mind but it was no use. She tried focusing on her breathing, steadying herself before she tried to form a sentence. 

She took a shallow breath and looked up at her friend, his eyes desperately searching hers for any context as to what she might be thinking.

"Pete, this is dangerous. This isn't a good idea"

"What?"

"You can't do this- this Spiderman thing, its not safe"

Peter's posture shifted at her words. He anticipated she'd be upset when he told her but it felt like she was questioning his ability to do this. He'd been doing fine so far, hadn't he?

He opened his mouth to defend himself but shut it as Maya's voice came out as a whisper.

"I can't lose you too" Her words spoken so softly they could've been carried away by the wind.

Peter's heart sank as he wrapped his arms around her as her shoulders lightly shook.

"I'm not going anywhere" He whispered the promise into her ear, his hand caressing her head.

Maya detangled herself from his embrace and pushed out her pinky finger. Peter let out a light chuckle but didn't hesitate to lock his pinky into hers.

"Promise" He whispered.

Maya let a small smile play on her lips as she tilted her head up to catch Peter's eyes fixated on her. He slowly reached his hand up and rested it on her cheek. Their eyes glued to the others, the whole world around them ceasing to exist at this moment.

 It was just them, here, now.

"I really want to kiss you" Peter whispered.

"Okay" She whispered back.

Peter slowly closed the distance between them, hesitating as he felt her breath on his lips. Maya didn't let him have a chance to second guess himself before crashing her lips to his. But as quickly as she leaned in, she stopped. 

Peter felt the blush hot on his cheeks, but Maya wasn't safe either, she had never been so flustered. Peter gently placed his hand under chin, raising her face so she was looking at him. 

He leaned in and kissed her. A little more desperately than he cared to admit but he held onto the kiss for as long as he could. Savoring every moment their lips were intertwined. 

He'd be lying if he said he hadn't fantasized about this moment before.