-3- you don't have friends

"Flash! You're such an asshole!" Maya's voice echoed out through the gym, only causing the jock to laugh harder before turning around and continuing his game.

"You know, he's only doing that to get a reaction out of you"

Maya rubbed her forehead where the ball had just hit her and looked up at Peter who had come to sit down beside her. She groaned in reply.

"You know, I still remember when you were head over heels in love with him"

Maya rolled her eyes. "That was 7th grade and no boy had ever given me attention before" Peter chuckled. "Besides, you're not one to talk. I still remember your failed Valentines Day attempt on Rachel Lowe in 8th grade"

Maya looked over to Peter and couldn't help but let out a laugh as he visibly cringed at the memory.

"You've still got some explaining to do. Don't think I've forgotten" she turned her whole body towards her friend. She couldn't wait to hear what excuse he'd come up with this time.

"I- uh. I was visiting a..friend"

"A friend?"

"Yeah, a friend"

"Peter, you don't have friends"

Peter scoffed. "Yes I do"

"Who?"

Peter opened his mouth to reply but was cut off.

"Don't say me"

"You"

Peter stifled a laugh and adjusted his posture before meeting Maya's eyes.

"Fine" Peter started. "What friends do you have then?"

"Don't say me"

"You"

Peter smirked. "See, neither of us have friends"

Maya let out a chuckle before the basketball came straight towards her head again. This time, Peter caught it without his eyes ever wondering from Maya.

She turned to her friend, sharing a confused look with him before the anger took over.

"Eugene!" She stood up, ready to jump off the bleachers and make her way towards the boy.

Peter grabbed a hold of her wrist keeping her in her place before he got up. "I'll handle this". Maya sat back down as she watched Peter walk over to Flash, passing the ball between his hands.

"Give it up Parker!"

"Why don't you take it from me?" Maya could see the mischievous glint in Peter's eye from all the way up here.

She cheered her friend on from the bleachers as he toyed with the jock who had been making their lives hell since middle school. She wanted nothing more than to see Flash get humiliated and it felt even better that the humiliation was being brought on by Peter.

Her cheering came to a halt when Peter had gone for a slam dunk and completely shattered the backboard. She was now standing outside the principles office waiting for him to get out of meeting. She bit her nails anxiously. She knew Peter must be in some serious shit because Uncle Ben had been called down to the school.

Maya snapped her head up when she heard the principles door open and she watched the two figures emerge from the room. She kept herself positioned against the lockers as she stood there awkwardly as Uncle Ben laid into Peter. Uncle Ben leaned past Peter and shot Maya a warm smile, in which she returned.

She took that as an invite to join the two in the hallway. "It's good to see you Maya. Thanks to Peter's little stunt today I've gotta swap shifts at work, so I won't be there to join you all for dinner tonight" Ben glared at Peter. "Though I hope to see you tomorrow for movie night?" "Of course! I asked Peter to let you and May know, but clearly the message wasn't received" "Obviously not" Both Maya and Ben now glared at Peter who  shot both of them a cheeky smile.

Ben had walked away with nothing but a reminder for Peter to pick up May and left the two friends standing in the empty corridor. Maya raised her fist for Peter to fist-bump. Peter gave her a confused look before knocking her fist with his. "I think it was badass what you did back there. We both know Flash deserved it" She shot her friend a smile as they started walking to the exit of the school. 

"I got some homework to finish up and then I'll make my way over to your house after that. May finishes work at 7, right?"

Peter nodded in response.

"I can pick up some pizza on the way if you want? Save May cooking after work?"

Peter shot Maya a warm smile. One of his favorite things about his best friend was just how much she thought of others before herself, she had always put her loved one first. Peter still recalls the day of Maya's mothers funeral. The reception had just finished yet she was still adamant on heading over to Peter's after and helping him study for an exam on Tuesday that he had been stressing about. She sat next to him on his bed, still in her black dress with slight mascara stained cheeks. He aced that exam and it was all thanks to her. 

"That'll be awesome. Thanks, Maya"

She gave Peter a light pat on his shoulder as they both walked home in opposite directions.