Ask me again

The air feels light, for the first time in 5 years everything is normal. They won. Natasha smiles as she leans against the porch railing, watching Morgan and Nate run around the yard before disappearing into her fort. The crickets are buzzing in a way she hasn't heard in a long time but it's nothing compared to the amount of noise coming from the picnic tables scattered about. Wanda catching up with Clint and Laura. Rhodey talking to Sam. Steve catching up with Bucky. Thor's busy talking with the guardians. Tony conversing happily with Pepper, his arm in a sling, but that doesn't seem to diminish the smile he has on his face as Peter blabbers on about being excited to see his friends. She gets it, she had been dead nearly a week ago, but now that she's had time to sit back and take it all in she knows she'd do it over again in a heartbeat. She feels eyes on her and looks up to meet Steve's gaze from across the yard. He's walking slower, carefully yet off balance. She knows the cup in his hand is filled with asgardian mead, the only thing that will get him even remotely close to what a few bottles of beer will do to her.
"Did I tell you how beautiful you look tonight?" He asks, his words come out with a stronger Brooklyn accent than when he's sober and she has to try not to laugh at the boyish grin that's on his face.
"Only about 20 times since we've been here." She replies, he's closer now, slightly bumping into her shoulder. "Think you've had enough of this?" She asks gesturing to the cup.
"Guess so..."He mumbles "but it's true you know. You are very, very beautiful."
"Thank you." She says, standing on her toes to brush a kiss to his cheek. It has him blushing before he pulls her into his arms. She hums as he sways them side to side a little, before he's pulling back so he can properly kiss her. She hears their friends clapping and teasing them from across the yard. They both laugh and she leans further into his chest. Then he's mumbling something she doesn't catch against the top of her head.
"Hmm?"
"Marry me." He repeats
"Steve." She starts, because she knows he's a little past tipsy and clearly feeling the effects. They'd only been dating since he brought her back, but she knows that they've both had these feelings long before.
"Please, Nat." He says, voice pleading
"I would love to marry you, but..." she starts
"Nat." He says voice nearly a whine "you're saying no."
"I'm not saying no, I'm saying ask me again tomorrow when you're sober and I'll say yes." She adds, leaning up to kiss the small pout off his lips. "I'm kind of tired, wanna crash in Tony's guest room?" She feels him nod and soon they're both cuddled up stairs in the guest room. She probably could have had Happy take them home, back to his, their, place in Brooklyn. The excitement of the day catches up to them and they drift off to sleep quickly in one another's arms.

Natasha wakes the next morning to the familiarity of soothing circles being drawn on her hip, finger tips playing with the end of her t-shirt. She buries her face into Steve's chest and he's quick to pull her closer. She hums contently.
"Good morning." He says placing a kiss to the side of her head.
"Morning, soldier." She replies, leaning up to place a soft kiss to his lips. "Don't you have something to ask me?"
"You think I'd forget?" He asks in response "I've had the question on my mind for far longer than I can remember."
"Oh yeah?" She teases quirking an eyebrow at him
"Mhmm, I've loved you for a long time now. I just didn't know what you'd say." He replies
"Ask me and find out." She says.
"Marry me, Nat?" He asks and she nods, crashing their lips together in response "I wanna hear you say it." He adds still breathless
"Yes. I would love to marry you, Steve." She smiles and the way his face lights up is the most beautiful sight she's seen, and he places a sweet kiss to her lips. He doesn't have a ring, but it doesn't matter, not to her. He slides his dog tags of his neck placing them around her own before pulling her back into his embrace.
"I love you so much."
"I love you too."

Hi everyone! I hope you all enjoyed this cute little one-shot! I saw a prompt with the words "ask me again" on Pinterest and immediately got this idea. Please forgive me for not posting since September. Thanks for all the love! -Mae