Perhaps she knew

Perhaps she knew, Steve decides. He never thought he'd be here, never thought he'd be alone, but here they are sitting in the same place where days ago the 6 of them shared drinks after reuniting , a 6 pack of beer, one for each of them. Yet now there's a missing piece, a missing piece that makes his heart ache and makes him wishes that a 6 pack would even come close to numbing the pain he feels right now. He hadn't needed an answer, when Clint came back the archer's face said more than any string of words ever could. Here they are every single one of them distraught in one way or another whether relying on sadness, logic, or anger. He feels stupid for letting her go, for letting her take the mission on that stupid alien planet, wishes he would've swapped their watches in the middle of the night, send her to New York instead.
Perhaps she knew.

It had been a long day and sleep never seemed to want to take over his body before a mission, he would usually find solace in the gym or going on a run but the last thing he wanted was to set a bad example for the team. Instead he lies in his bed staring at the ceiling, lost in his thoughts when his door creaks open. Quiet footsteps make their way to his bed before a body is filling the empty space next to him. He wonders if it was his own thoughts that woke her or if she'd even fell asleep at all in the room that was just across the hall. She shuffles under the covers, pressing close enough to receive some of his body heat, head resting against his shoulder. He wraps and arm around her waist.
"Couldn't sleep?" He asks, he knows the answer. She hums in response. "Me either, thinking about tomorrow?"
"The big day." She replies "we'll finally get them back."
"It's crazy, this time travel thing." He adds, his fingers absentmindedly run up and down her side, a tactic once used in comfort from nightmares.
"You're telling me, I'm going to space tomorrow." She replies amusement present on her face even in the dark, his fingers still. "Steve?"
"Yeah?" He says snapping himself back into the present "sorry, you having second thoughts?"
"I just... don't know what to expect." She mumbles
"We never do." He replies
"What are you going to do when all this is over?" She asks, scooting closer any amount of space between their bodies, closed.
"I don't know, I might try some of that life we keep talking about."
"Sounds nice."
"Yeah when I get back, when you get back, I was thinking I'd retire. Live a normal life, buy a little house in Brooklyn." He adds "could be fun..."
"I don't know if I'll ever be cut out for that sort of life." She says, one of her arms across his chest, fingers twisting into his t-shirt, a distraction for herself.
"You could always test it out." He replies "after this is all over, come to Brooklyn with me."
"Steve." She says, it comes out as nearly a laugh in disbelief.
"If you don't want to move in with me, Romanoff, just say something." He says poking her side.
"Okay, okay." She relents getting him to stop his poking
"Is that a yes?" He asks chuckle escaping his lips
"It's a we'll see." She replies and her tone changes like she hadn't been laughing a minute ago. Perhaps she knew.
She cuddles further into his side, face now buried in the crook of his neck. They don't talk anymore, not about this sort of thing between them, not about the mission, not about future plans. They lay there in silence, nothing needs to be said. Silence says a lot more than words ever could, perhaps she knew.

Hi, everyone! I hope you enjoyed this even if it is shorter than usual, thanks for all the love! -Mae