The Impossible

Natasha sighed as she sat on the edge of the small bathtub that was in the small apartments the rogue avengers had found in Scotland. It wasn't the best they had stayed in but it definitely wasn't the worst. Sure sometimes the kitchen sink didn't run at the same time as the shower but they could make it work since the owners had asked no questions when they had offered cash to rent it. Her heart rate increased as she anxiously awaited as her phone timer rang. Both Steve and Sam had gone on a run, which left her at the apartment alone as Wanda had gone to visit Vision for a few days. Her eyes flickered across the 3 sticks that lay on the bathroom sink.
"Shit." Was the only word that happened to come to mind at the time, because this wasn't supposed to happen. Not ever and certainly not now, of all the times. They made certain of it during her graduation ceremony or so she thought. Here it was, standing before her eyes, three positive plus signs. She runs a hand through her now short blonde hair. What was she supposed to tell Steve? Hey, sorry I know our lives are a little screwed up right now here's another person for us to protect. They weren't exactly a couple. They hadn't even discussed it, what they were. A conversation Natasha dreaded because having something was better than nothing but now that something had turned into something a whole lot bigger. If she drops this bomb she just might ruin everything.
She hears the front door shut followed by Sam's voice and Steve's laugh. She hears the door to their bed room open, which is kind of what got them into this situation in the first place.
"Nat, you in there?" She hears from the other side of the door.
"Yeah, I'll be out in a minute." She replies trying to hide the wavering in her voice.  He always knew how to read her and she's sure he will be able to see the mix of fear and uneasiness on her face. She places the tests into the grocery bag, before exiting the bathroom.
"Hey you okay?" He asks
"Yeah, how was your run?" She says quickly trying to change the subject as she walks across the room
"It was good." He says catching her elbow "you sure you're okay?"
"I...we need to talk." She replies
"That's kind of what we're doing now." He says, sporting that teasing grin. Another thing that seemed to put them in this situation. His demeanor quickly changes when he realizes she's serious.
"What's wrong?" He asks his hand moving from her elbow to her hip, she bites her lip. "You know you can tell me anything." He adds
"I'm pregnant." She says so quiet he barely catches it.
"Are you sure?" He asks. She nods
"According to the three tests, Yeah."
He nods, pausing to run his free hand across his face, his other never leaving her waist.
"How did this happen? I thought..."  he starts
"Me too. I guess it wasn't as sufficient as they thought." She says
"Are you okay with this?" He asks. Of course it's just like him to make sure she's okay with this.
"I didn't think it was possible, it seemed like a dream." She replies "but I am okay with it."
"Good." Steve says as he squeezes her hip. He reaches into his pocket pulling out a small box. " Marry me then." He says as he gets down on one knee
"Steve."
"It's not because you're pregnant, it's because I'm in love with you. I've been in love with you for 4 years now and I've had the ring since before the Accords, so don't say anything about us not having the funds for it." He lets out a laugh "I love you so much, Nat. There's not a thing I wouldn't do for you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So what do you say, Romanoff? Think you can put up with me forever?"
"I love you." She says as she brings her lips down to meet his, as he wraps his arms around her waist.
"Is that a yes?" He asks as the pull apart from the kiss
"Absolutely." She smiles pulling him in for another kiss. She reaches for his hand, placing it on her stomach before intertwining their fingers together. "You've had the ring since Ultron?" She teases
"I just knew, okay..." Steve says as his face turns a light shade of pink
"I did too." She adds as he slips the ring on her finger.
"Sam, you can quit listening now." She smirks as she leans her forehead onto Steve's chest.
"Sorry, the... um.. the walls are really thin. Do you guys want breakfast?" He asks
"Sure." She says stepping out of Steve's arms.
Sam waits by the doorway, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as they walk to the kitchen.
"Congratulations. You're gonna be a great mom, Nat, and I'm gonna be the best damn uncle this kid will ever have." He says
"Thanks, Sam." She smiles
"You never have to thank me alright, I got your back." He replies

Steve stood back watching the two. He's glad that despite all the hardships they've been through in the last two years on the run from Ross, they have this. This family. He wishes Wanda were here right now, the young witch had grown on all of them rather quickly. They'd become parental figures in her life and he had no doubts that she would be overjoyed at the news. Natasha looks over at him from her place at the table.
"You okay?" She asks
"I'm perfect." He says. The man out of time never thought he'd have this.

Hi, everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to vote and comment below! ❤️❤️ -musicgirl145