Arc 1: Chapter 9: Sleeping Snow

Start from the beginning

I began to make my way down the centre walkway and, reminiscent of my first day, there was only one chair free. Many of the professors and staff had shuffled their positions since I left but, true to memory, McGonagall sat beside Dumbledore and two from McGonagall sat Snape, leaving the free chair in between. 

Months ago, I would have agonised at sitting in that chair. I knew nobody except the man to my right who I despised almost as much as my father. Now... sitting there gave me hope. They were the people I could rely on and... that man was now someone I cared about close to my heart. With a slightly suppressed skip in my step, I took the chair and McGonagall took immediate notice of my presence and gave a welcoming smile. The cheers and applauds had calmed and the students went back to eating, talking and working.

Everything was whole again.

"How are you, Cassandra?" Snape asked, looking intently over me to make sure I was fully healed.

"I'm alright, just a bit tired. But don't you worry. Madam Pomfrey sends her regards, by the way." I teased and he pressed a hand to his face in shame. 

"Disregarding that incident, I hope the clothes I organised for you are appropriate. Madam Pomfrey hurried me to obtain some articles but she did not seem to consider the ethical side of her demands." he continued. In the corner of my eye, I saw Dumbledore and McGonagall leave their seats and go through one of the doors to the side. 

"I'm not sure. With how you were acting, I think she may have considered it within the realms of possibility." I joked happily and began to take some pancakes from the main dishes to my plate.

Snape blew out a mildly frustrated puff of air. He really was adorable when he gets flustered.

 I felt a soft tap on my shoulder. McGonagall reappeared standing by my side. 

"A moment, Cassandra? Be warned, you should prepare yourself." she warned and guided me through the door she had previously gone through with Dumbledore. Snape did not follow. What could this be about? 

*****

The room she and I entered into was larger than an office but smaller than a typical classroom. There was a large crackling fireplace and some chairs in front but that wasn't what mattered to me. Instead, stood a man and two women I had the most displeasure in seeing. The Devil in Pink, the False Minister and the head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, Amelia Bones, stood before me. 

"There you are, Miss Juniper." Umbridge gritted through her teeth, still vengeful after our last meeting.

"A pleasure it is to see you again, Umbridge." I glared at her and turned to Fudge. "And you too, Minister." 

Dumbledore broke the line of sight between us. 

"You do not need to be here if you do not wish to be, Miss Juniper." he advised and looked over my shoulder to the door. "I can manage it if you wish to go be with Severus."

"I'm not afraid of them. Tell me, what is going on?" I interrogated as I stood to Dumbledore and McGonagall's side. It felt like a brawl was about to erupt at any moment.

The confident and wise-looking Amelia Bones stood forward and opened a large scroll to read in front of her.

"By order of the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, we are directing that Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry be forced to close its doors to all students and staff in three days should the perpetrator of the five disappearing students not be caught." Her tone sounded like she was abandoning all of her morals upon reading each word. She didn't agree with this. "This is a final declaration. Failure to comply will result in the appropriate sanctions from the Ministry."