3: I'm Yours

I stayed up all night writing music, and at five in the morning the phone rang. It made me panic because maybe it was my mother, or maybe it was my father. I ran upstairs answering the phone with no sleep. "Hello?" "Prince?" The sound of her voice made my entire body melt. "Hey, yeah. It's me." "Hey, I'm not going to school today because I have a doctor's appointment, but my mother said I could go to your game. She's going to drop me off at the locker room, and...yeah. She wants to meet you." My stomach dropped and the nerves set in. "She wants to meet me?" I asked. Andre was walking into the kitchen to grab cereal off of the top of the fridge. "Yup. She's excited to meet you. I hope that's okay?" I laughed a little. "I'll probably be gross because I'll be sweaty after practice, but yeah. We can do that." I said.

"Awesome. I'll see you after school okay? Um...the party thing is a secret though right?" She asked. "Yes! Big secret. Don't tell anyone." "Okay, good. I gotta go...have a good day at school. Do you think you could get my school work for me?" My hand was on my chest as Andre grabbed the milk carton from the fridge. "Yeah. Of course, yeah. See you later, Scarlet. Bye."
We hung up and Andre was smirking. "You pussy whipped, bitch. I knew it. You ARE the bitch." I rolled my eyes. "Fuck you, Andre. I gotta get ready and we gotta stop by my mama's house to get my jersey." I told him.

"Scarlet...your mother says you have a friend?" Therapy always made me nervous, but today I was feeling incredible. "Um...yes. His name is Prince and he's really sweet. He's in school right now." My therapist seemed happy. "Good! I'm glad you made a friend....does he know about-" "A little. He just found out I was in foster care, but...I haven't told him about the...thing." My therapist nodded. "You know, your disorder isn't a thing. It's very serious." She said. I was wanting to bite my fingernails again. "Prince knows. He's open for discussion. He said I can talk about it when I'm ready and I'm not ready for that talk with him yet."

My therapist crossed his legs and leaned back in his chair. "So...he does know about your attachment issues? Don't you think that maybe knowing Prince has become an attachment for you? Your mother seems to believe so." I shook my head turning it towards my mother. "You think I'm attached to Prince?" "You won't stop talking about him. He's your main focus and all you think about is him. I will admit doctor, her grades have come up because of this boy. She's actually going to graduate." I swallowed hard. "How old is he?" My therapist asked. "He's the same age as me. I'm five months older than him so he'll be seventeen when he graduates." I said. No...this wasn't an attachment. There's no way.

"Attachment issues come with your disorder, sweetie. We talked about this. It's nice that you have a friend, but I don't want you dating this boy." "We won't be dating!" I yelled. I had thought about it often...since all of this started. The tutoring, the talks on the phone, the kisses. "Can this be over?" I asked them. "I suppose. We need to drive back and get her to this boy's game. He plays basketball and he's number 3. I've heard her say that a billion times. This session was nice, doctor." My mother said practically dragging me out of his office. I got in the car and my mother began to scream at me.

"You don't ever scream at me! Do you hear me?!" She yelled. I closed my eyes. "If it were up to me I would've never adopted you three years ago. Do you wanna go to the hospital?!" I covered my ears. "No, mama. Please stop screaming." I said to her. She sighed and leaned back in her seat of the car lighting a cigarette. "Mama...I like him." I said to her. She was quiet and I unplugged my ears. "Mama...did you-" "He's no good for you. You need to recognize that now before you wind up getting into a marriage you can't get out of...because you got a kid and...then he decides to..." "Mama...you had a kid before me?" I asked her. We left the doctor's office and she was driving us back to Minneapolis. "It's-No, no. I didn't. I promise I didn't." I was in shock. "You told the adoption place you had no kids before me...you lied to me. You lied to them."