I hear Dad's footsteps behind me but ignore them, going straight to my locker. Gina appears in my peripheral as I take my first two period books out. I can feel her eyes burning a hole into my cheek, and I groan. "What!"

"Damn, who pissed in your cheerios?"

"No one, sorry." I close my locker and lean against it while she does the same next to me. I notice Macy sitting in her usual spot, biting her jacket sleeve.

"What happened Friday with you two?" It's the second time she asks. The first time she asked at the mall, I shut the conversation down. Not because I didn't want to tell her but because I didn't really know what to tell her. I don't know what is going on with Macy, and I don't know how bad her addiction is. Maybe she was just trying it for fun, right? Like other kids in this school. It was a party she was smoking and drinking and wanted to try something new...?

Wrong. I know that's wrong. The way she said she needed it... it's definitely an addiction. Somehow Macy and I locked gazes, and I feel as if I see a subtle head shake. What is she telling me no about? What? To not tell anyone?

The bell rings, and our staring match ends. She grabs her bag, tossing it on her shoulder, and walks away. "I have to go. I'll see you later, Gi."

"Um, okay? Love you, Sugarplum," I hear her say behind me.

"Love you too, Babycakes." I kiss two fingers and send it her way. I move my feet quickly through the crowd to catch up with Macy.

"Hey," I say, grabbing her arm. She stops walking and yanks her arm from my grasp. "We need to talk." She looks around at the many students seemingly minding their business walking around us.

"No, we don't. You need to leave it alone."

"I can't." She tries to walk away, and I grab her arm again. When she goes to take my hand off her wrist, someone slams into her causing her to collide into the lockers hard.

"How's it going, scumbag?" Chase asks, with Brooklyn grinning next to him. The crowd stops to inquisitively watch.

I stand there from the side, watching as Macy gets sturdy on her feet, rubbing her shoulder. Her eyes close, and she takes a few deep breaths as if to calm herself. The last time I tried to help, she told me she had it, so I didn't want to get in her way this time. But I also don't want to see her get into a fight or get into trouble.

"Are you okay Addypoo? Did her filthy touch hurt you?" I scrunch my nose, confused at Brooklyn's words. Who the hell is Addypoo? She has never addressed me as such. We are friends, but not like that. For the beginning part of the boathouse party, she was attached to my side until she realized I wasn't interested and left with the basketball captain. I don't like her as anything more than a friend, and recently her antics and her messing with Macy are starting to annoy me.

She rubs my wrist as if I'd been burned by Macy's hands, and I yank it away.

"I'm fine. What is wrong with you two?"

"What? We're just here to save you from this low life." Brook smirks, and Chase chuckles. Macy grabs her bag and tries to push past them, but Chase slams her into the lockers again.

"Where are you going, dyke?"

"Get out of my way."

"Or what?"

"Fight fight fight fight!" Chanting from the group of students watching fills the air. Brooklyn claps her hands, bouncing up and down with excitement. I try to walk towards Macy to get her out of the middle of the circle, but Brooklyn grabs my hand and pulls me back to her.