"Here Princess," Dad says, handing me cash. We have credit cards where they put our monthly allowance on, but for some reason, dad still gives us cash for lunch. She wants us to save our allowance for other things we want. A part of me thinks she wants me to save up to buy my own car. Except, I spend my monthly allowance each month on new clothes, so I don't think that'd be happening anytime soon. I don't see why they can't just get me one like everyone else's parents.

"Thank you," I say, grabbing the money and looking out the front window seeing Macy leaning against the brick in front of the school.

"She's waiting for you because I told her to. You skipped walking her around yesterday and they pestered her on the way out of school."

"And that's my fault?"

"No, I didn't say it was. But you saw how the school responded to you hitting Chase. Though I don't condone my children using violence to solve their problems... you did good." I grin and look towards her. "Okay don't let that go to your head. I did have to deal with Chase's parents after that hit."

My smile falls. "Sorry."

"Forgiven." She opens her door and grabs the car keys. "Alright. Now please at least until lunch, try to stick by her side."

I groan into my school bag. "Fine."

I follow her out of the car and many students say high to both my dad and me. The school loves having her as a counselor, she is their favorite one. Even if they aren't seniors, students will still go to see her because she is the most relatable and sympathizes with them.

As we're walking past Macy I motion my head telling her to follow. She sucks her teeth but follows along. Dad goes to her office and I go to my locker with Macy right behind me. She stands there with her hands in her pocket.

"You can put your books in your locker... you know?"

"Yeah, your father says I have to stay with you."

"I mean it's right across the hall. I can still see you. What? Does she want us attached at the hips or something?" Macy raises her head giving me an enticing look. I catch on to what I said and shake my head. "I didn't mean it like that."

"Hey, you said it. Not me, Pillow Princess." I slam my locker and turn to face her.

"What's with the nickname?"

"Doesn't your Dad call you Princess or something? She did when we were younger. And you know because you're a les..."

"Shut up!" I say under my breath, looking around to make sure nobody heard her. "I know what it is. What I don't understand is why you keep calling me it."

She looks me up and down. "Oh you mean you don't like to lay on your back and give nothing in return?" I scrunch my eyebrows. "I could have sworn that was your preference."

"It's not, so stop calling me that." I slam into her shoulder walking away. I hear her laughing behind me but ignore her as she grabs her books from her locker.

***

My first two classes went alright. I didn't speak to Macy at all during lab. We just shared a science book to answer the questions on our worksheet. Second period she sat across the room in the same spot as Wednesday.

After lunch, Gina and I sat by the large tree in the front of the school waiting for volleyball practice to start, and talking about nothing in particular. She wants me to go to the party with her Friday night at Kenneth's because there is a girl on the cheerleading team she likes. She wouldn't tell me who. If I'm right about who I think it is, that girl has slept with every guy on the football and volleyball team and is making her way to the cheerleaders.

It's the end of the school day and I'm in the dressing room of the gym putting my practice uniform on. I don't see how the school has a dress code but the cheerleaders and volleyball team wear the shortest clothes to compete in.

Once we are done stretching in the gym the team files out to the sandlot.

Coach divides us into two groups. Beach volleyball is not the same as regular gym volleyball. When we play in competitions, there are only two of us. The regulations remain the same: don't let the ball hit the floor on your side of the net, three hits per side, no player can hit the ball twice in a row, the ball can not come to rest during contact, and the net is off-limits. The scoring is also a little different though.

The games are three-set matches. The first two sets are won by the team that scores 21 points first, with a two-point advantage. The third set, sometimes known as the 'tie-breaker,' is first to 15 points. For the first two sets, the teams trade sides every 7 points. The third set is we switch every five points. If there isn't a two-point lead while getting to 21 or 15 points, such as 21-20, the game continues until a two-point advantage is made.

The goal of the game is the same as it is in gym volleyball: serve the ball and have it land on the ground or sand of the opposing team's side, or have the opposing team commit an error in order for their opponent to gain a winning point. For example, more than three hits, hitting it into the net or going out of bounds.

As we go through our drills, I see something on the other side of the bleachers. I nearly assume it's the blonde in the black hoodie and do a double-take, but when I look back, all that's left is a puff of smoke.