I didn't mind bunking with Cam at the condo because he is my best friend. I shared everything with him and we did everything together. Mom said I used to read to him and show him my stuffed penguins when he was in her womb, and after when he was born.

I still love penguins. My room and clothes aren't covered in them anymore, but when I turned 17, Dad finally allowed me to get a small tattoo of a little penguin outline on my wrist. Around the same time, they allowed me to get a nose piercing.

I finally step out of the hot shower, towel drying my body and my long brown hair, which resembles my father's. I think I have quite a number of features that may be similar to my birth mother, but I don't know for sure because I've never met her. Elliot and Dad met when I was two years old. They fell in love, and she took me in and raised me as her own. She is the only mother I have ever known, and she is the greatest.

I decided to wear a turquoise plaid mini skirt with a black cropped top today. I attend Clearwater High School, which is a private school, but there are no imposed uniforms. We do have a dress code though, and I try to stick to it, but these little skirts are just too adorable. I can never resist buying them when I'm out shopping. I sit on my bed, pulling my black Highland Suede over-the-knee boots up my legs, before walking downstairs for breakfast. I apply a light layer of makeup and blow-dry my hair to complete my look for today.

While approaching the dining room, the smell of bacon and biscuits fills my nose. "Good morning family," I say, messing up my brother Camden's hair and kissing Ray's head on my way to my chair. Cam is three years younger than me and is currently a freshman at the same high school as me.

Dad comes into the dining room with my plate just as I take a seat. "Good morning Princess." She kisses my head and glances down at my well-thought-out first-day outfit. Ever since I was a baby, Aunty Jayda told me that Dad has always called me Princess, and she's never given it up. Much like how she calls our mother Momma bear. "Addy, would it kill you to wear something... that isn't pushing the dress code."

I shrug my shoulders and begin eating my food. I love food more than anything in this world. Well... almost anything, and I don't share it with anyone except Mom and Rayden. "Yes... yes, it would kill me." Mom looks back at me shaking her head and grinning. "Besides, it's an inch above my knee. It's barely pushing it." I counter.

"Dad, are we riding with you?" Camden asks in between bites.

"Yes, and your mother will take Rayden to school before work." Mom was recently appointed to student dean at the university where she and Dad met. Mom began as a professor there, and after earning her master's degree in education, she was eventually promoted. She helps students adjust to university life by assisting with residence hall development, student activities, and Greek life organizations.

When we've all finally finished our breakfast, mom takes Ray, and we say our goodbyes before getting in the other car with dad. Camden rushes to the front door before me yelling "Dibs". I roll my eyes at him. "Cam, you don't have to call dibs loser, just take the seat."

"YoU DoN't HaVe tO CAll DiBs," he repeats, mocking me. I slap him on the back of the head and get in the back. "Ow! Asshole."

"Language Cam," we hear Dad say from the driver's seat, starting the car. Dad is a strict parent. You don't want to make her upset or disobey her.

"Sorry," he says, rubbing the back of his head.

"Forgiven," She replies before turning down the street to Clearwater High School.

"Daddy, when can I get a car? It's so uncool to ride with you every day."

"Ouch," she says, looking back in the rearview mirror.

"No! I don't mean it like that. I love you. It's just everyone has a car but me."

"Well, your mother and I don't think you're ready for that yet."

"I'm 17."

"And I'm 36. So who here gets the final say?"

"You do."

"Correct. Why don't you ask Gina to pick you up every morning then? Since I'm so... uncool."

"She drives like a bat out of hell, and I'd like to make it to school alive."

"True."

"Hey, how come she gets to curse?"

"Hell isn't a curse word dipshit," I say, reaching forwards and smacking him in the back of the head. He turns in his seat to try to get me back, but Dad slams him back down.

"You two quit it! Camden, you are 14, your sister is about to be 18. And hell isn't a curse word."

"Aha," I stick my tongue out and flick his ear.

"Adelaide, shit is a curse word though. Don't let me hear you call your brother that again. I don't mind you cursing as long as you are not negatively addressing anyone."

"Yes ma'am," I groan, looking out the window and crossing my arms.

We pull up to the building and watch as the kids rush into the front of the school. We stayed in the car a little longer for Dad to hand us money for lunch. I need to get a job to have my own money. I wonder where I'll work, maybe at a coffee shop as a barista... or a lifeguard at the community pool. I don't know, but until then... I'll just keep taking my parent's money.

We hear a bunch of kids getting rowdy in front of the school and turn to look their way. They are pushing a blonde girl in a gray hoodie around. After peering through the crowd, I noticed it was Macy Tanner, the school's 'troublemaker.' I don't see how she's the troublemaker though. They are the ones picking on her. She finally pushes back, and a teacher steps in to stop them.

I see my father shaking her head. "It's literally the first day of school. Don't they have something better to do?" Neither Camden nor I answer her. "Okay kiddos, get to class, don't be late. And Adelaide?" I turn to look back at her. "Please don't cause any trouble."

I smirk at her. "When have I ever?"