Arc 1: Chapter 6: Stars Above The Sea

Start from the beginning

"I believe that's our call, huh?" I offered my hand to him. "Grant me the honour? That's what they say, I think." 

For the first time I'd seen, there was a genuine smile on Snape's face. I couldn't hold my own back if I wanted to. This was a much different man to the one I had previously known. This Snape knew happiness and welcomed it to his heart. Would he be back to his spiteful ways when the ball was over? 

He gently grasped my extended arm and wrapped the other around my frame and I put mine on his shoulder. Together, we waltzed onto the dancefloor.

"It's funny. I remember offering my hand when we first met for you to shake it... I never thought when you finally accepted it, it would be for this." I reminisced.

"You certainly were more intolerable back then." he replied, his deep onyx eyes gazing fondly to mine. I couldn't look away. 

"Is that your way of saying you've gone soft for me?"

Snape paused as he thought about what I said. My time here flowed through our heads. This was a sign that we could get along despite our conflicting personalities. 

"In a manner of speaking."

Heh. He definitely had.

The song had begun to reach its climax and Snape didn't seem to hold any intention of letting go of me. Letting myself flow to the whims of the music, I rested my head against his chest and closed my eyes. I'd never felt so relaxed. So safe. So... free. Every moment has to come to an end eventually but... this was the one I wish would never fade away.

Thank you, Dumbledore. You pushed me to see the person behind a mask of pain when nobody else dared to. There's more to this man if you gave him a chance. The world refused to grant him one. I want to give him that chance.

*****

Once the dance came to its conclusion, Snape and I went and mingled with the other professors and had drinks and food. Trelawney was present but Snape acted as a bit of a human shield between us. Today had been magical, pun unintended. 

The clock soon struck midnight. Everyone began to leave the Great Hall and, thankfully, the corridors were already empty as the third years and below had already been sent to bed. 

But I didn't feel ready to return to my room. There was too much adrenaline and excitement still inside me that had to be lulled out. Snape was walking alongside me without a sound crossing his lips.

"Hey... I'm going to go to the Astronomy Tower for a bit. I need to get all of this built-up energy out of me." I said, "But you can come too. If you want." I quickly added embarrassed. Astonishingly, he followed.

*****

The very top of the tower was a large, open circular room with stairs needing to be climbed to reach the platform. In the centre was a humungous model of the Earth that took up most of the interior. Opposite the stairs was a small balcony for one to put a telescope and view the entire solar system. It was the main source of light with the moon giving the tower a faint white glow.

Snape and I climbed the stairs and I immediately went and leant against the metal railings of the balcony. The cool breeze flowed through my hair. I took a deep breath in and felt refreshed from the natural air. 

"Thank you for tonight. I really quite enjoyed myself." I laughed without turning around. I think my reasoning was that I was too scared to see his reaction.

"It was enjoyable to me as well." he said as he joined me on the balcony. I laughed embarrassingly once more and looked at the horizon beyond. You could see all of the lake and the mountain range that seemed to go on forever. When you looked up, it was a full moon with countless stars in the sky. It would be impossible to see such a sight from the Ministry with the air pollution of the city dirtying the view.