Chapter Twenty-Eight

Just some fluff in this chappy! Mostly Marinette and Luka have a heart-to-heart! Not a very long chapter, but I do hope it satisfies you for now. Art atop is NOT mine, all credit goes to artist.

Enjoy >//////<

"It's grand to see you again, Marinette!" Anarka beamed the second she saw the girl standing awkwardly in Luka's room. "It's been far too long!"

"Y...yeah, " Marinette forced herself to look at Luka's mother. "It has."

"How have you been?"

"Fine, how about you?"

Anarka smiles, "You're such a sweetie, Marinette."

She wheels Luka closer to his bed. Luka did his best to avoid Marinette's saddened gaze. He felt...not ashamed, though it felt similar. Maybe he didn't want her to see him like this, all beaten and bruised like old fruit.

Juleka flickers her eyes between her brother and Marinette, sensing some building tension. She stands from her seat, "Hey, Mom, maybe we should go get some lunch."

Anarka, ignorant of the tension between her son and Marinette, "But, we just ate breakfast."

Juleka tugs her sleeve, pulling her mother toward the door. "Yeah, but I'm in a burrito mood."

"You don't have to pull me, Juleka!"

They were gone. It was just them two, Luka and Marinette. In this deafening silence. This very heavy silence.

"I'm sorry."

Marinette looks at Luka, her bluebells wide and confused. "Why are you apologizing?"

The teenager shrugged. "I dunno, I guess. For not listening. About Lila."

Marinette lets out a dry, throaty chuckle. She maneuvers herself to be in front of Luka, even though he kept his eyes averted. Crouching before him, she takes his hand in hers. "Luka. Luka, please look at me."

Luka reluctantly makes eye contact with his crush. Her expression was full of concern. He didn't know why, but he felt ultimately better with her here, like she was a miraculous and magical remedy. If his body didn't hurt so bloody bad, he get up and hug her tightly.

"Don't blame yourself because of Lila, " She said. " I don't."

"No?"

"No." She repeats.

"Why did Lila have your phone?" Luka asked.

Marinette bit her lip, standing up, ruffling her hair. "She stole it off me when I took a nap in the nurses' office at school. I asked my mom to have my line shut off for a little while. God knows how much damage she's done--" She peeked at Luka sheepishly. "Besides, well, you know."

"I get it, " he nods. "I feel stupid for falling for it. I knew it wasn't your voice on the other end, but you know some voices sound different on the phone."

"What'd she do, " Marinette sat on Luka's hospital bed. "Hire a couple of guys to hospitalize you?"

Luka feels himself still. Damn, he had to give it to Marinette, she was too smart for her own good.

"Seriously?" The ebony-haired teen sees his face. "I'm sorry she's done this to you. I'll deal with her--"

"NO!" he bursts, even scaring himself. Marinette certainly looked surprised. "I mean, no. Don't get yourself involved. She could hurt you too."

Marinette's expression softened. "I've been involved since the beginning. Lila thinks she can attack my friends to get at me, which is why I warned you at Juleka's party."

"What happened between you two? From the way she talked about you, she's got a grudge."

"It was over Adrien." Marinette pursed her lips and crossed her arms over her belly. "Before Kagami...before you. I'm no saint, either. I did some things to her and vice versa. We fought, she got me expelled, very bad business."

"She got you expelled?" Luka's brows quirked.

"Yeah, she faked injuries and pinned the blame on me." Marinette felt sour now. "And even turned everyone against me."

"Wow. No wonder you're a depressed roll."

"You really just said that huh?" Marinette eyes Luka playfully.

He grins shamelessly, even shrugging before painfully wincing.

"Are you hurting? Do you want me to get someone for you?" The girl says, worried.

"No, " Luka inhaled and exhaled sharply. "I'm fine. I don't want to be too dependent on painkillers all the time."

"Do you want me to you help to bed? You'll probably feel better." Marinette offers, jumping to her feet.

Luka smiles up at her, "Thanks, but all I need is help to get up."

After locking the breaking on the wheels, Luka makes an attempt to stand up. With Marinette holding him securely as he gained his height, it was fairly easy.

Marinette grips Luka's left arm as gently as she could and uses her other wrap around his waist.

"You okay?" Marinette noticed how Luka winced, sucking in a pained breath.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good." Luka was clearly holding up a front to not appear weak in front of her.

"Okay...easy, easy now, " Marinette led him to the bed, she grimaces when he makes a pained groan. "Sorry..."

"It's okay, I'm just a little sore."

"I imagine you're hiding all your pain, " Marinette huffed, adjusting Luka's arm so he could turn around to sit on the bed. "You shouldn't have to feel strong all the time."

"I'm fine with it, " Luka grunts, accidentally plopping on the bed. His whole body is encased with pain for a mere second. "Besides, how else am I supposed to impress you?"

Marinette creased her brows together, frowning. "How would putting yourself through pain impress me?"

"Well, it gives me an excuse to have you have my nurse." he grins smugly.

Marinette squeaks, blushing from the neck up. "N-nurse?! Just so you know--"

Luka laughs lightly. "You're so fun to rile up."

"Och, you're so bad!" Marinette playfully glares down at him.

The two stay that way for a silent moment. Marinette unknowingly stood in between his knees and was rather close to him. If anyone were to walk in on them, they'd probably look like a couple.

At the thought, Luka's face filled with color, and his chest warmed. Here she is, in front of him, helping him. It was not at all what he expected of her. Not long ago, he was taking care of her.

"Luka?" Marinette blinks at him, innocently.

"Marinette..." Luka reached up, cupping her face with his hands. "You're beautiful."

"I...what?" Her face burned crimson.

And then before he had control of himself, her lips crash against his.

He kissed her.