Chapter Three: Eye Contact

"You're gonna kill me, albi,"

I shook my head at him, feigning honesty, "Me? Kill you? Never! Even though you are a fucking thorn in my side,"

Doctor Matthews awkwardly cleared his throat, "You two know each other?"

And at the same fucking time, we said, "Unfortunately,"

I flickered my gaze to Freddie, but he was already looking at me. I noticed his lips turning slightly blue and had to look some place else so as to not run out of the room and have someone else deal with this shit.

"All right," Matthews cleared his throat. "I have to go and prescribe him medicine in the mean time. You okay on your own?"

Uh, fucking no!?

"Yeah, definitely," I said and hoped he didn't notice the strain in my voice. He nodded once and strolled out of the room. I blew a piece of hair from my eyes and wondered if this was even fucking sanitary at all. It feels like something you'd see in an Expendables movie.

Just taking a bullet out like this, no operation, nothing.

"Come on, albi. I have shit to do, places to be,"

I might just let him die today.

I moved closer and he shifted so he was comfortable on his back. And now, standing so close to him, I realized that he was half naked and that he smelled absolutely fucking delicious, and that almost made me want to jump out of the window.

I cleaned the area as best as I could, looking up at him every now and then. But he was just laying there, staring up at the ceiling with one arm under his head, and the other playing with a lighter at his side.

"What happened?" I asked softly.

"I work for Vitterio."

And that was the end of the conversation.

I used the tweezers to dig around in the wound, and Freddie just closed his eyes and inhaled a deep breath, and breathed it out. I only then realized I was doing this without anesthesia.

I am a horrible fucking nurse.

"You wanna say something, albi, then say it. I can't keep looking at you gaping like a fuckin' goldfish."

And just when I started to feel bad for him.

"Shut up, you're interrupting my nurse-ing,"

He huffed out a laugh like what I said was funny, and I flicked him on his naked stomach, "Don't move, dumbass. I'm literally digging in you with a pair of tweezers,"

"Oh, are you? I'm sorry, I didn't know,"

I took several steps back, "All right, fuck you," I said, and wanted to say about a million other things but he laughed so deeply and out of his throat that it sent me wordless and breathless. He sat up and grabbed my wrist just as I took the steps back, and he held onto me.