Chapter Thirteen: Clicking of Death

Tiny hand held onto two of my fingers

Tiny hand held onto two of my fingers. She made a noise that told me she had a brain freeze, and when she crossed her eyes and made a groaning/blowing sound, my suspicion was correct.

"Dad, I got brain freeze," Judith mumbled out, and I raised both brows at her and said, "Told you not to eat the ice cream so fast, habibti," I took the cone from her tiny, sticky hand and dug my other hand in her backpack. I retrieved the wipes, and she held both her hands out.

"It's meltin' and I wanna eat it before it messes in your car, baba,"

My heart nearly exploded.

"No, don't worry," I smiled as I wiped down her hands, pushing her head back to get her chin too. "Look up, habibti. God, you look like Santa Claus," She did in fact, the vanilla ice cream had created a moustache and beard on her chin. She squealed, "Wait! Lemme see!"

And then she was clambering up and standing on her knees to look at herself in the visor mirror. She started giggling, and then she looked at me and said. "Baba, could we turn you into Santa too?"

"Absolutely not. Sit down,"

She dropped onto her butt with a cackle and then let me clean her mouth. I put the cone back into her hand, and gave her wipes to keep her hands clean. "That doctor," She started, but paused to lick her ice cream, "She's sooo pretty, baba,"

I stayed quiet because I knew she had so much more to say. I strapped her in, and started the car.

"Her pretty white hair! Did-did you see her eyes, dad? Did you see them?"

My heart was hurting so unbelievably much in my chest. "Yeah, I saw them, baby. They're pretty, aren't they?"

She bobbed her head quickly, "Mhm, yeah! And she's so nice. But-but she was weird today, wasn't she?"

I swallowed my laugh and nodded my head as I pulled into the road. "Yeah. I haven't seen her in a while, she was just a little shocked, is all," My daughter hummed as if she listened and completely understood.

And then she dropped the ice-cream on the floor of my car.

"Oops!"

She immediately looked at me, but I smiled at her and said, "It's okay. We'll clean it at your moms house, 'kay?"

She nodded her head vigorously, and then took my hand from the gear shift. She put it in her lap and started turning and pulling the rings on my fingers. I smiled down at her, and she grinned at me and then wiggled in her seat as he hummed the tone to some children's lullaby.

"Baba?"

"Yes, habibti?"

"I think you should ask Doctor Juliette out on a date."

I whipped my head in her direction, bewildered, "What do you know about dates, Jude?"

She gave me an eye roll, "I'm six, dad, that doesn't mean I'm dumb,"