Chapter Twelve: Snake Head Cane

You would expect me to have gotten better within these five months

Maybe go back to therapy, maybe take up a hobby or two besides reading my painful romance novels.

But I haven't. And I'm not going to.

Five months ago, at five in the morning, I awoke from a very deep sleep. I turned my head to the left and saw Lorenzo with his hands holding onto his head. He was seated in a hospital chair. Then I turned my head to the right, and my eyes landed on a familiar face and I felt my heart shoot to my throat.

Vitterio lay in a white bed with his head turned to the side, and when I caught his gaze, he smiled at me and said, "Finally, you're awake,"

I asked him how long was I out, and he said, "About a day,"

Okay, not too bad.

"You had internal bleeding,"

Shit.

"Sorella?" I asked, and his eyes hardened and he looked away. "She's alive and with the Polish." He grumbled and played with the drip in his hand.

"And...Freddie?" I whispered, but before Vitterio could answer me, a nurse came in and checked on me. I watched him for an answer expectantly, waiting and waiting but he was talking to the nurse and wasting my fucking time.

"Freddie?" I snapped once the nurse closed the door behind herself.

"Alive."

And that was all I needed to hear.

A while ago, about two months, I asked him again. Vitterio smiled a small smile at me, "He's in Washington." He said, and didn't feel it was needed to elaborate. I said okay, and moved on with finishing my dinner at their place.

Sorella came in with her short hair and her little smile.

And then we fell asleep in the same bed and I didn't have a nightmare.

It was October now. I was back at the hospital and people have started to call me Doctor Dupont. It was strange, but it was fun to have Olivia refer to me as a Doctor. Me and her have started to talk to one another without whips as tongues, and we even went out for drinks a few nights back.

My hair was long again.

I started listening to the Arctic Monkeys and taking cooking classes.

Which have gone fucking horribly.

It was a Saturday today. My apartment was clean and I was content with sitting in my living room and doing nothing today, but the sharp ringing of my phone told me the day had other plans for me. I licked off a drop of simply syrup from my fingers as I ran to my phone.

"Hi, Olivia,"

"Hi, Doctor. We have a small emergency here and the other suitable Doctors are on call."