"N-no I-I," She cleared her throat. "No, jiejie. This gentleman is just done..." There was no more inquiry after that. After a beat of silence, Xiao Ju quickly kneeled at Liu Qingyuan's feet.

"Young master, I beg you to let me go. Nubi has done nothing wrong." She panicked again, quickly correcting herself. "N-nubi does not know what she did wrong, young master please have mercy." Infact, as a maid of the dowager, Xiao Ju did not have to lower herself like this but she was new and unaware and the man before her had such a sharp gaze. Furthermore, if he was qualified to be the king's guard, he must have some furious martial arts!. Even against a regular man, a young girl like her was already at a disadvantage.

After a moment, he said, "You already know what you have to do." Although she was young and naive, Xiao Ju was not stupid. In a few seconds, she was nodding her head frantically.

"Nubi didn't see. Gongzi was just putting away the herbal tea sent by his majesty..."

"What is in there?"

"Nubi heard her majesty say that they were relics from the past regime, when the late king was alive..." Liu Qingyuan narrowed his eyes. Maybe he should have another look. But with this maid in front of him, how could he do it in a way that didn't raise suspicion? In the palace, the number one rule was that no one could be trusted. Greed and sin ran rampant under the guise of jade and gold and everyone had their own motives and ambitions.

As if the heavens were punishing him for trying to kill their beloved monarch, an imperial guard dressed in red and armour burst in, becoming suspicious at the sight of the maid kneeling at his feet. With a sharp glance from Liu Qingyuan, Xiao Ju scrambled to her feet, rushing to make an explanation.

"It is not like that brother Lin! This servant accidentally offended this young master just now." Suddenly becoming brave, she took the initiative to shove them both out of the room, still rambling.

Once outside, the guard looked Liu Qingyuan up and down and grabbed his arm to stop him from leaving. "Where do you think you're going?" he sneered.

Liu Qingyuan looked coldly down at the hand on his arm and back up to the soldier's face. "Let go."

"You dare order me around? I work under the General! Today, I'll take you back to be investigated!" Xiao Ju, who'd just come out of the rooms, paled at those words. She remembered Liu Qingyuan's dangerous gaze and wondered how this pig-headed soldier dared to provoke him. She rushed over.

"Brother Lin!"

"Don't worry Xiao Ju, I'll investigate this man. You won't be wronged!" Liu Qingyuan took notice of how they called each other so intimately. Perhaps they were friends before or of close relation.

Liu Qingyuan shook off the soldier's arm, preparing to leave. The soldier's face darkened, reaching out again. Liu Qingyuan knocked his hand away, performing a quick maneuver, sending him tumbling to the ground. The maid shrieked, attracting unnecessary attention and her 'jiejie' finally rushed forward, dragging her away from the fighting men.

Humiliated, the soldier lunged at Liu Qingyuan who easily blocked his attacks. With a 'shick' the soldier drew a knife. Caught off guard, Liu Qingyuan managed to block it with the palm of his hand. His arm trembled, the wound from the female's assassin's blade sending pain up his arm. The soldier was air-headed but he was still trained for battle and caught the small weakness in triumph.

He punched the spot and Liu Qingyuan sucked in a breath, the muscles in his neck going stiff from the strain. The soldier used the moment to grab his collar, yanking him closer to snarl in his face. "Know your place!"

"Brother Lin!" The maid cried again. "Don't you see his uniform? He's an elite guard!" But the soldier wasn't listening.

Liu Qingyuan struggled, pushing him away and landing a sharp kick on his knee. The man howled in pain as a sharp crack sounded and the bone fractured. Liu Qingyuan glared down at him, his hand instinctively cradling his own injury. "You-"

"Impudent!" All heads turned at the sound of the fierce voice. The soldier paled at the sight, immediately kowtowing. Liu Qingyuan bowed slightly, his face calm but his eyes still furious.

"Your majesty." At his words, the maids behind him also crashed to their knees. Jiang Zhilan stopped beside Liu Qingyuan, eyes frowning in displeasure at his messy collar. He reached out, fixing it. His hand brushed against the rough bandages under his shirt and a strange look came over his face. A hand grabbed his own and his eyes flicked up to Liu Qingyuan's.

"Did I hurt you?" He said, his eyes narrowing a little.

"No, your majesty." But Jiang Zhilan saw how he slightly pushed away his hands. "I'll do it myself." The king looked at him for another second before turning back to the soldier, his gaze instantly turning cold.

"Care to explain?"

The soldier, seeing that his majesty was in an unusually bad mood today, immediately started groveling. "Have mercy, your majesty. Have mercy. This servant was a little too bold just now."

"A little?" Jiang Zhilan sneered. How unsightly. For an upright soldier to grovel like his dignity was nothing! He couldn' help but think about the resolute way Liu Qingyuan had rebutted his older brother...

"Eunuch Shuang!"

"Yes, your majesty?"

"Take this soldier to General Fu. He's his subordinate. Have him delegate the punishment." He pinched the bridge of his nose. The soldier paled. Unlike this kind and fair king, General Fu was strict when it came to his soldiers. As military men, they had to be perfect examples.

"Your majesty!!" He wailed. Jiang Zhilan waved his hand and signaled for Eunuch Shuang to hurry up.

"Guards, take him!" Two guards detached from the king's entourage and dragged the soldier away.

"You all may rise," Jiang Zhilan said vaguely to the kneeling servants. He turned to Liu Qingyuan and gave him a long look. "Let's go back."