Chapter Eighteen

Across the room, Anthony had watched as Elizabeth and His sister walked up the main staircase, he was a in sort of trance after seeing Elizabeth laugh so freely with his siblings. He was almost jealous that he had not been a part of this, better yet he wished he was the one to bring such joy to Miss Priestly. He knew that her boisterous laughing is largely frown upon within gentle society but seeing her laugh so freely had warmed his heart. She was like a shot of sunshine, instantly seeing her smile made Anthony smile. He shook his head and the whole notion.

Anthony caught Colin as he passed his brother across the hall, he grabbed his younger brothers arm to pull him aside.

"Where is sister and Miss Priestly going? The party is down here." He stated, trying to hide his curiosity to what the pair where doing.

"Why do you care?" Colin teased.

"Because someone who is not a part of this household is being escorted up to the families' private quarters." Anthony tried to reason but it was no use, Colin was already looking amused at his brothers outburst.

"Elizabeth is practically family, even more now Simon has married Daph, why do you really want to know?" Colin smirked trying to push him further.

"Why?" His brother looked as if he had aged ten years from the conversation. "Because I am the master of this house, that's why." Anthony grunted.

Colin held back a chuckle as he continued to bait his older brother.

"Really?"

"Colin" Anthony warned him.

"Fine, you are no fun sometimes brother." He laughed. "Elizabeth was not feeling well, and I suggested she could get some peace from the crowd. She's to going sit in the private drawing room with Elouise"

"Now if you excuse me" his brother mumbled as he caught the eye of Miss Marina Thompson across the room.

Anthony frown at the lovesick face his younger brother was pulling as he stalked off. He made a mental note to check in about that situation soon with Colin but for now he only had one mission on his mind and it was to speak to Elizabeth.

"Are you feeling any better Lizzie?" Elouise asked her as the pair sat together in the Bridgerton private drawing room. She had become to admire this room dearly. It was strange to see the room so empty of liveliness as it seem all her past visit the Bridgerton room was full of life and family. Elizabeth could only dream to live in such a full house and hoped one day she would have that for herself.

"I am fine Elouise" She assured her friend grasping her hand and squeezing it tight in affection.

"Very well, well I won't pretend that I am not happy I escaped that party" She sighed fixing the crease in her dress. "I shall fetch some tea seeing as all the servants are helping downstairs and then we can discuss theories of Lady Whistledown!"

Elizabeth laughed. She had begun to see Elouise as a younger sister almost. Though sometimes it was easy to get lost in Elouise's wonder of the world and her passion. She did know better than to encourage it sometimes, but the Bridgerton girl did have a charm in getting her way.  Elouise left the room in a hurry to fetch the tea leaving Elizabeth a moment to breathe. The persistent dull pain had in the most part subsided, but it was not until her friend left that she realised how much she longed for silence.  She closed her eyes and rested her head on the back of the lounge for a while enjoying the peace. Maybe Elizabeth should have waited a little longer to rest before heading out into Society again, but she would never forgive herself if she had not attended Simon's wedding. After the events of the duel, Elizabeth had told her Aunt that she had fell off Daphne's horse after a morning ride. It was bad enough she had lied to Lady Danbury, but she doubted she could pretend to be in good health with such a headache and knew better to think her aunt would not soon find out the truth if she had said nothing.

A cough took her out of her moment of peace, to see Anthony standing in the doorway of the drawing room with a somewhat concerned and dazed expression across his face. Elizabeth jumped at the sight of the man sitting up straight.

"Heavens, how long have you been there?" she fanned herself irritated that he had interrupted her restful moment and that she had caught him staring. "You sure know how to vex a women good sir"

Anthony still concerned about her well-being stepped into the room and paced towards her. Letting the door close behind him. "I heard you was not well, i came to check on your health" he stood in at the other end of the lounge studying her and checking her once over. 

Elizabeth's irritated frown faltered slightly. " i am well my lord, it was just too-" she sighed fidgeting with her fan. Anthony had noticed over the short time they had been acquainted that if Elizabeth had something bothering her she would fidget. He frowned noticing it once more and took a step closer to her.

"Too what?" He asked softly.

"Just too much i guess" She laughed. "Sounds silly i know, i do not like the crowds and since the accident my head sometimes agrees"

Anthony took a seat next to her but remained a body's length between the pair. "That is understandable, you are still recovering from what i hear from Simon"

"Simon spoke about me?"

"I enquired about your health" He turned to face her.

"Me?" she was confused.

He laughed at her confused expression. "Yes, of course. Do you expect me to throw you from my house after and not enquire of your health? That would not be the actions of a Viscount if i did not" 

She scoffed. "You have hardly acted gentlemanly towards me my lord"

Anthony raised his eyebrow. "Did i not save you from ruin Miss Priestly?" he shuffled closer towards Elizabeth. "Twice, if i recall correctly"

Elizabeth could feel her blood boil. "Hardly twice! one time was of your own doing sir!"

Elizabeth in defiance turned to face the other side of the room, refusing to look at him in fear she may throw her fan in his face. Anthony chuckled moving close enough that their legs nearly touched. She could feel his closeness and huffed as she grabbed the nearest book on the side table that she could only assume Eloise had left out.

"I would hardly say that was entirely my own doing" He continued leaning in closer to her.

Elizabeth huffed as she pretended to read to ignore that her body was set ablaze from his intense stare alone. "I seem to remember you enjoyed yourself a great deal"

"I do not" she mumbled. Elizabeth was sure she had read the same sentence three times.

Anthony leaned in until his hot breath tickled her neck and her breath hitched. "Let me remind you"

He raised his hand and began to trace her arm up to her neck. Elizabeth closed her eyes gripping the book with both hands tightly. "Do you remember this?"

She shook her head.

"How strange" he chuckled.

"It seems we should remedy this" He pulled her closer and traced the neckline of her dress leaving a trail of goosebumps before stopping.

"Perhaps another time" He smirked, and stood fixing his coat. Elizabeth huffed in frustration at herself and at Anthony pulling away.

"Glad you are feeling better Miss Priestly. I shall take my leave" He bowed and swiftly left the room.

Leaving Elizabeth in utter frustration.