Chapter eleven

"Does that sack of grain have a German accent, or is it my imagination?" Will asked pulling Elizabeth from her book as she laughed.

She found herself sat in her usual spot in Will's empty salon gym while Simon practiced his boxing skills. She enjoyed joining Simon on these visits as it was a chance to escape suitors calling and her ever quick-witted aunt.

"Remind me, Will... are you participating in a boxing exhibition today, or is it a comedy exhibition?" Simon huffed as he continued to beat the grain sack.

Elizabeth smiled as she turned towards Will when Alice had  entered and pulled Alice in for a hug to greet her old friend.

"I was afraid you had forgotten." Will answered.

"I had not." Simon continued his focus on the sack."Although I am afraid you will have to soldier on without your greatest admirer present this afternoon."

"Alice will be present." Will smiled at his wife.

"I am leaving England. My business is concluded." Simon stated as he stopped.

Elizabeth sighed, she had spent the last few days trying to dissuade her oldest friend to not leave the country and fight for Daphne. To be honest, even at this point she had not understood why Simon had not proposed marriage to Daphne. It was clear to everyone in their presents that the pair loved each other.

"Will's is not." Alice said crossing her arms.

"This will be the biggest match of my career. I am not favoured to win it." Will explained as Alice walked over to her husband with concern in her eyes.

"Will..." Simon sighed.

"Your smart friends know you frequent my saloon. Who will wager on me if you are not present?"

"I don't have any friends."

"How about after the Irishman today, Will, you pummel the piss out of His Grace's self-pity?" Elizabeth mumbled as she crossed her arms.

"I have never asked a favour, but I implore you not to miss this match." Will continued.

"His Grace would like to miss the chance of seeing the Bridgerton girl on the arm of a prince." Alice joked.

"Perhaps you're right." Elizabeth laughed.

"Both of you understand I am just here, do you?" Simon huffed throwing his towel on the bench.

"I am not nearly as devoted as the two of you, along with Lady Whistledown, would like to believe." He continued earning a scoff from Elizabeth.

"The only thing we are devoted to is putting food in our children's mouths. Perhaps you'd like to dig a little deeper today, Your Grace. And help us fatten the match organizer's purses as well as ours?" Alice sternly smiled at the duke.

"What?" she turned to see her husband face in disbelief. "You don't love me for my subtlety."

"Fine, but I will make plans to leave England shortly after." Simon laughed in defeat.

Alice nodded in satisfaction before turning to Elizabeth. "And I shall expect you there too, even if you must also see the prince with someone else. Will needs the support" Alice smiled before pulling at Elizabeth's arm. " And I will need company other than His grace"

"Why should I care who the prince is with" Elizabeth laughed. Since Somerset House it seems the prince had moved on to Daphne, Which if Elizabeth had been honest she was relieved. For she knew the prince may be the only suitor she could not in good conscience refuse, especially with no other suitors seriously courting her, the rumours as to why she refused a prince would soon spiral out of control. She would not care if it was only her own reputation on the line, but it would likely reflect on her family too.