Chapter seventeen

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings. The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later. Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love or concealing a scandal.

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S SOCIETY PAPERS,

14 JULY 1813

Elizabeth had left Anthony's at the earliest connivence of his servants, she wanted her own room, and her head was still reeling after hearing of the events that Anthony and Daphne had explain to her, events that since her accident she could not remember. Not in its entirety at least, she could remember snippets of the lost 24hrs, like flashes in her mind.

Images of her riding her horse at dawn, her pacing her bedroom in distress. Elizabeth stood in her aunt's gardens looking at the willow tree.

"Will you stop fidgeting girl." Her aunt tapped her foot with her walking cane.

"Sorry aunt." She sat down in the pews of the church, waiting for the rest of the party to attend. It had been a few days since she returned home and had all but recovered from her concussion, she had nearly missed Simon and Daphne's wedding if it wasn't for the fact, they had to delay their day due to their struggles to obtain a special marriage licence.

She looked up at Simon, who did not look like a man who was excited to marry. "He looks miserable." She whispered to her aunt.

"Pre wedding jitters, of course" she said in a affirming tone as if her aunt was trying to convince herself as much as her niece.

Elizabeth sighed.

The organ began to play to signal Daphne's arrival and all the guests turn around to witness her entrance, and awhile everyone was focused on the bride. Elizabeth could not help but examine Anthony as he walked his sister down the aisle. Her cheeks warmed remembering her last encounter with Anthony in his room, since that day she had tried her best to avoid him. Luckily with her condition over the past week she had been able to keep this up.

Anthony did not dare look in Elizabeth's direction. He passed his sister to Simon as they reached the altar.

The rest of the ceremony was brief and simple, and before they all knew it the archbishop was announcing Simon and Daphne as man and wife.

"Elizabeth! I need your help." Elouise grabbed her arm at seeing Elizabeth standing by the drinks in the great hall of the Bridgerton house for the wedding reception. "I have a quest."

She laughed at her eagerness; it had been too long since the pair had been each other's company. "A quest?"

"Yes, I need your theories on who you think Lady Whistledown is?" she thought for a moment and realised she had none. Lady Whistledown had all but forgotten Elizabeth since the prince set his eyes on Daphne, and to be honest she had not given the writer much thought since.

"I do not have any theories Elouise" She giggled.

"None?!" She looked at Elizabeth in pure shock which increased her laughing. "How could you not have theories! Everyone does"

"Clearly not everyone." Elizabeth continued to chuckle.

Elouise looked at Elizabeth with a stern eye and surveyed her. "Perhaps you do not worry who she is, because you are Lady Whistledown."

Elizabeth burst out laughing and clutched her rib for support, it was the most unlady like she had ever looked but could not help herself. 

"What have you done to Elizabeth sister?" Collin questioned reaching the pair.

"She has claimed I am lady Whistledown" She managed to get out between her laughing.

Collin began to laugh in unison.

"Now that is extremely funny"

Elouise huffed crossing her arms.

"it's not funny."

"oh, but it is sister"

"Elizabeth, Collin stops" she stomped her foot on the ground in defiance.

All the laughing had reduced Elizabeth to tears and created a slight headache from her condition. "Oh, Elouise you have made my week" she wiped a tear away. "Apologies but I fear all this laughing has educed a headache"

"Please Lizzie, go use our private drawing room upstairs. Mother won't mind and I will fetch a servant to bring you something to ease the pain" Collin calms down and smiled back.

"Thank you" She turned to the second oldest Bridgerton. "Want to join me and tell me your theories? I have missed you dearly El"

Elouise smiled who until hearing Elizabeth's nickname for her was frowning.

"Of course!"

The pair linked arms and made their way through the crowd to the grand staircase and up the stairs.