Chapter One

The Bridgerton's are by far the most prolific family in the upper echelons of society. Such industriousness on the part of the viscountess and the late viscount is commendable, although one can find only banality in their choices of names for their children. Anthony, Benedict, Colin, Daphne, Eloise, Francesca, Gregory and Hyacinth - Orderliness is, of course, beneficial in all things, but one would think that intelligent parents would be able to keep their children's names straight without alphabetise their names.

Furthermore dear readers it would that our Queen has all but declared Miss Daphne Bridgerton to be this seasons Diamond debutante. With such a high praise this writer bets that a one Lady Bridgerton is most certainly pleased.

In other debutante news it seems that a one Miss Elizabeth Priestly has arrived in the ton for her entrance in society, this writer has on good authority that she is to stay with Lady Danbury her aunt and the second sharpest lady in all of ton (close behind this writer). With such a aunt to champion will this debutante thrive? Or will we witness a downfall?

Fear not gentle reader this writer will be the first to know.

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S SOCIETY PAPERS,

26 APRIL 1813

"What are you reading my dear" Elizabeth looked up from the scandal sheet in hand to face her aunt, lady Danbury.

"It's that new scandal sheet! It's immensely entertaining aunt, she has even named you this time! How exciting!" handing over the sheet to her aunt before taking a sip from her tea cup. "I have to say that she writes you in a very favourable light dear aunt. Makes me wonder if you are Lady Whistledown" she teases.

"Pish! You think too highly of me dear niece to think I could pull off such a stunt, though I do admire Lady Whistledown, I am also concerned that poor women will be rip to shreds when she is discovered" Lady Danbury countered throwing the scandal sheet on the breakfast table.

"My lady, The Duke is here to see you. He is just attending to his horse out front"

"yes yes Thank you Walter. We will be out now to greet him" She waved her hand to dismiss the butler from the breakfast room and raised from her chair.

"Shall we my dear?" Lady Danbury asked offering a hand for Elizabeth the take.

"The Duke?" She questioned confused, did they know a duke? Then a wave of realisation washed over her as she jumped up from her chair. "Simon is here?!"

"Yes" Lady Danbury sighed with a amused smirk on her face. She was not a lady to be questioned or kept waiting but had always had a soft spot in her heart for her sister in laws daughter. She of course loved all her nieces and her nephews especially since the death of her own husband years and years ago, with no other siblings she saw her husbands sister as her own not just by law but in her heart so when her dear sister died she was beside herself and vowed to protect them as if they were her own. Now with both Elizabeth's brother and siter both married and both expecting the arrival of children in the next coming months, Lady Danbury was more than forthcoming to chaperone her niece for the season.

Taking Her aunt's hand to link arms they venture through the house to greet their guest. And before Lady Danbury could speak Elizabeth was running across the front lawn to greet the new Duke of Hastings.

"Simon! You're here!" She ran straight first into the Duke who had caught her with just enough time to spin around.

"Little Lizzie! You've grown so much! Look at you" he laughed placing her back on the ground.

The Duke and Miss Elizabeth Priestly had become fast friends from a young age, in fact the whole Priestly family saw him as extra addition to the family right away. He would always join Lady Danbury on her visits to see the family when he was a boy and had become to see Elizabeth as a little sister.

"My condolences, Your grace for your father" Lady Danbury nodded when reaching the two giggling pair.

The Duke shifted his weight and stiffened at the mention of his father. "Very kind of you" he replied

"Kind of me?" she scoffed. "You hated the man"

"It is so wonderful to see you Lady Danbury" He mused with a small bow.

"Words she doesn't hear that often" Elizabeth muttered under her breath.

"especially not from you, wicked girl" Her aunt playfully taped her cane against Elizabeth's shin. "Come"

"You must excuse this disorder, as you know I am to host a ball this evening. I have been able to keep your arrival quiet from the ton but I expect to see you tonight?" Lady Danbury smiled knowingly that she will make sure he had no choice but to attend.

"Ah yes you must come Simon. With a eligible Duke present tonight there is sure to be a hound of bloodthirsty mamas and debutantes swarming nearby!" Elizabeth laughed "It will be highly entertaining for me!"

"You my dear will be preoccupied with potential suitors if we are to find you a husband" Lady Danbury warned.

"Yes, yes of course but I will be looking for love. Not a husband, for anyone can find a husband. I want love"

"well I have returned to London to deal with my fathers affairs, I will not be long enough to socialise. So whilst I appreciate your invitation Lady Danbury " he shuffled on the spot avoiding eye contact with the women. "I must ask you accept my regrets"

"Your regrets have been denied"

Elizabeth stood in-between both with her hand firmly over her mouth in an effect to hide her amusement.

"I suppose a brief appearance--" Lady Danbury cuts off Simon before he can finish "Excellent! You may help our Elizabeth with suitors"

As she walks away Elizabeth cannot contain her amusement any longer. "After all this time I don't know why you bother, My aunt will always get her way soon or later" she laughed.

"Oh shut it Lizzie" he huffed.