Chapter Fifty-Two

Börja om från början

"Did he give you anything to go on? Clues, coordinates—" Steve said. Tony wasn't even listening.

"I saw this coming, few years back. Didn't wanna believe. I thought I was dreaming," he said, shaking his head.

Adelaide wasn't listening either. She was thinking about the last conversation they had. It was the strongest memory she had of him only because it was the last. Thinking of his smile, how it made her heart flutter. His beautiful brown eyes that crinkled by the corners when he smiled. When we get back home, I'll take you out to a nice restaurant for dinner, his voice echoed in her mind, We'll share a cone together in Central Park. She closed her eyes, taking in a shaky breath. Anything you want, love. Anything at all, he said.

What she wanted was him and nothing else.

He felt close. So close. Close like if she listened closely, she'd hear him whisper Ada into her ear with a smile. Feel his arms around her again, pulling her into his ch—

There was a crash.

She blinked, looking over at the source of the noise. Tony had collapsed onto the floor. She sighed. Everyone was already helping him up, taking him to the infirmary. She leaned her head back against her wheelchair, closing her tired eyes again. Tears pricked her eyes. Her head hurt. Her bones hurt. She gritted her teeth. Everything fucking hurt.

She wanted to scream.

—————

"Hey, you alright?" someone said. Adelaide rolled her head leaning against her wheelchair to the side to look at the assassin that just walked in.

After the conference room had emptied out to help Tony, she sat there in silence and after much struggle, wheeled her way to the holographic projector and turned it back on again so she could stare at Peter's face. She had been sitting alone in silence with his picture for several minutes.

Adelaide looked over at the IV dripping into her arm and the assassin gave her a small smile.

"Right, sorry," she said quietly, sitting down in one of the conference table chairs across from her. She followed the teenager's line of vision to the picture of the boy in the air. Natasha looked back at her again.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered, "Were you close?" Adelaide nodded after a while. Close was one way to put their relationship.

"We found Thanos," Natasha said after a moment. It took a second for the words to reach her brain, but when she heard them, the teenager immediately looked at the assassin. "There was a surge of energy from a planet two days ago meaning he used the stones again. We think we can reverse what happened if we can get the stones back from him. The team's getting the ship ready right now."

Adelaide said nothing, staring at an empty spot on the floor. Natasha sighed.

"Just thought I'd let you know," she said quietly as she stood up to leave, "We're going to get him this time. I promise we'll fix this." The assassin stood over the teenager, caressing her hair for a moment. She leaned down to kiss her forehead.

"We'll be back before you know it," she mumbled into her hair.

"I'm coming with you," Adelaide said.

Her voice was barely there anymore after having not used it for days now. It was coarse like sand and Natasha only heard her because she was standing so close. She stared down at the teenager who was literally sitting in a wheelchair with an IV dripping in her arm. There was no way she could join them on an unknown planet to fight Thanos who had all six Stones.