He Was Once My Everything: Chapter 6

Sorry its so short! Just trying to get some uploads out. I'll upload again soon!

Chapter 6:

“Does she want the big one or the small one?” I asked myself as I scanned the shelves at the grocery store, looking at my options.

My mom sent me out to grab some supplies for dinner; unfortunately I had been stuck in traffic for a while. And to add to it, when I got here I ran into a friend and got distracted with talking to her for a while.

I looked down at my watch.

“Dang she’s going to be mad. I’m glad I didn’t bring my cellphone.”

I grabbed the big one, just because it’s better to have extra than not enough, and added it to my basket. I headed up to the register and checked out. It was dark when I left the store. I sighed and hurried to my car, climbing in and starting it.

I was thankful the traffic had cleared as I drove home. I didn’t need to be even later bringing the stuff home to my mom.

I pulled into my driveway and climbed out. As I reached back in to grab my stuff I saw my mom walk out onto the front porch.

“I’m sorry,” I said, speaking before she could get a chance to yell at me, “Before you get mad, I got stuck in traffic.”

I turned to look at her, but she didn’t look mad, she looked incredibly sad.

“Are you okay?” I asked her, walking up the sidewalk.

She took a deep breath, but it was shaky.

“You need to come inside and sit down.”

“Mom, you’re scaring me. What’s going on?” I asked.

“Please come inside, Honor.”

I hurriedly followed her inside and into the living room where my dad was pacing the floor.

“Dad?” I asked, worry coating my voice.

He turned to me and walked over, pulling me into his arms.

“What’s going on?” I asked, nobody was telling me and I was getting freaked out.

“Hon, let her sit down,” My mom said to my dad.

He let go of me and I quickly sit down so they would just spit it out.

“Mom?” I pushed.

“Honey,” she said, sitting down and taking my hand.

“Mother!” I demanded, my voice shaky with fear.

“Baby, I’m so sorry! But there’s still a chance!”

“Mom what are you talking about!”

“Listen, we just got a call from Blake’s dad. They were trying to reach you, but I guess you left your cellphone here.”

I swear to God my heart stopped beating. Oh God, Blake? Why were my parents trying to break the news slowly to me? It was just making it worse.

“What’s wrong?” I managed to get out.

“There was a mugging downtown. Somebody called the police.”

A mugging. Okay, he could survive from that, right?

“And?” I asked impatiently.

“By the time the police got there nobody was there. But they found a lot of blood. And some of Blake’s personal belongings.”

I couldn’t see straight. By the time she said blood I could feel pounding in my ears. My throat was constricting and I couldn’t breathe properly. I felt my eyes fill up with tears and spill over. They ran down my face so fast I couldn’t keep up with wiping.