chapter thirty: affront

Scarlett held him all night. And while he slept like a baby, his face pressed into her neck, she wasn't pulled under into her dreamland like she wanted to be.

She was too scared for him.

What if he woke again and needed her?

It had taken her forever to calm him down, calm enough that he could fall asleep clutching onto her. She was his little lifeboat, preventing him from sinking into the abyss of his past.

By the time she felt the lulls of sleep wash over her, the sun had long since erupted from the horizon and was warming the sky. Nearing 7:30 am, she roused from the sheets and made two cups of coffee, Willa following her around in need of pets and attention.

She took his cup of coffee into the bedroom, placing it on the bedside table and kissing his chest to wake him.

Harry stirred and slowly woke, completely unaware that she hadn't gotten any sleep.

"Morning, handsome." She greeted, moving to dot kisses along his face. "Sleep okay?"

He groaned and stretched, before pulling her on top of him, humming and snuggling deeper into her hold. "Mm...I like sleeping with you. My little dreamcatcher."

Her heart felt like it was being squeezed in her chest. "Do you have them often? The dreams?"

"No. I used to but it's a lot less, now. I'm just stressed."

She could sense him brushing it off and she chose to leave it. He wasn't in a state of panic and that was enough for her at the moment. He'd gotten over a hurdle of pain last night, the last thing she wanted him to do was to be reminded of it.

He wondered what she would say about the medication he neglected to take, the ones that eased him into a sleepy state with no haunting flickers of nightmares.

"Well, if you ever need me..."

"I always need you."

"Smooth."

He pinched her hip. "For you."

She stretched her arms above her head, and his hands ran along the expanse of her tummy before finding her thighs. "Don't start that." She scolded.

"I'll behave, I promise. I have an event this morning."

"Ooh, what kind of event?"

His hands explored her body. "Well... I need to see who's still loyal to me."

"Is this about the trip?"

"In part."

"Well, Mr. Busy, I'm working, too. I have a huge delivery due today that I'm excited about."

"Yeah? Got anything I'll like?"

"You'll have to come and look."

"Maybe I will."

She reached over, grabbing his coffee for him and holding it out. He grinned, quickly tying his hair into a bun and sitting up.

"You didn't," his smile grew. "My precious little goddess made me coffee?"

"Willa helped." Scarlett joked, nodding to the needy dog who whined at the end of the bed.

"My good girls."

He took a sip of coffee, humming in delight at the taste. Like he often did when he'd get that first taste of her on his tongue.

She nudged her nose against his, feeling warm with his intense gaze on her. "Are you going to be okay?"