chapter four: adorning life

Two weeks went by and Scarlett was yet to hear from Harry. She tried not to be discouraged and wondered if maybe her fiery response to his approach of asking for her number refrained him from reaching out.

But something told her that wasn't the case. She knew he was just as captivated by her as she was him. She just needed to be patient. She knew he felt the connection and if he didn't contact her, that said more about him than her.

She threw herself into situating herself into her New York lifestyle. She joined a gym and went every other day, working out profusely in classes and training her body until she felt like she was going to pass out. She was someone who loved being in control and exercising her body and her strength played a large part in that.

She decorated her barebones studio apartment and turned it into an abode flourishing with aspects of her, deep and smoky colours, plenty of her favourite books, and some vinyl's she'd collected from the store. She had one spinning on her turntable every time she was in, knowing it drowned out her thoughts so they didn't flood her.

It was a small space, an open floor plan with a rustic interior. She invested in some dividers to create some privacy for her bedroom and angled the furniture so she had more of a lounge, and eating area next to her kitchen. The windows took up the entire wall, offering a marvelous view of the New York City skyline. The only separate room was the surprisingly roomy bathroom, tucked away in the corner, close to the front door.

She also tackled the issue at her workplace. After a very much needed team meeting, her three employees agreed to put in more effort with the store. But only after she enticed improved behaviour through incentives as if paying them wasn't enough.

They were sweet, though. She often found herself tucked in her office when she needed a breather from their antics, grateful to have a private space that was hers and hers alone. She'd furnished and stocked it with a few plants to make it her own nirvana at her place of employment.

She wasn't sure when she'd escape this job, and wouldn't even reduce down her browser on her laptop that showcased her job hunt. She wasn't going to hide how much more she desired from life.

On Friday after work, she found herself in a hidden away bar with her closest friend who had just moved to New York a few days prior. They thought it fitting to celebrate being together in such a large city that at times was so big it seemed to overshadow everything else.

Melanie was a strong force in Scarlett's life. Confident and outspoken, and Scarlett relied on her to keep her head on straight. She often swam out of her depth and Melanie was a life raft, waiting to scoop her up and revive her.

She had golden skin and large curls that were untamable and framed her face beautifully, a goddess who somehow got more stunning every time Scarlett laid eyes on her.

Scarlett informed her about the Blue Ribbon and its owner. She told her all about Harry, his advances, his suggestive behaviour, and language. Also how he was intense, alluring, mysterious and mildly misogynistic but then again, what man wasn't?

"Just jump his bones and then block him after." Melanie shrugged, a prowess of men and knowing her friend was very much the same.

"I was planning on it, but he's so intense... it's almost like he's worth more than a one night stand, Mel."

That caught Melanie's attention, brushing a wayward curl from her face. "You don't do relationships, babe. Plus, he's a bar owner. Those kinds of men are always damaged somehow, that's why their jobs rely on nightlife. Major party animals."

"I know that. But it could be a casual thing. He's quite sophisticated, and it's a classy bar. I need to take you some time."

"Look, you haven't heard from him which is really weird especially because you're gorgeous and he's totally missing out. Just fuck someone else tonight and get him out of your head. If he was thinking of you, he would have texted by now."