chapter twenty-four: art

Sunday.

The only day of the week in which Harry's mind slowed down to a pace he could manage. He'd usually be nursing a hangover from a wild Saturday night at the Blue Ribbon, post his usual work meetings.

It had been an eventful work week, between planning out the next job and Zayn getting closer to the business, Harry was ready for a day away from it all. It actually had been helpful having Zayn more involved with everything. He offered ideas that were helpful, posed potential threats that even Xander hadn't spotted.

As much as Harry hated to admit it, having Zayn on the team wasn't such a bad thing.

This Sunday, he didn't wake up with a pounding headache, but with a bubbling excitement for what the day was about to offer. He'd called ahead, making sure it was all perfect enough for his goddess.

Given the fact that Nia had helped plan Scarlett and Harry's first date, he made an effort to do this one all on his own. He'd like to think he'd become quite a master of her. The concept of women still scared him, but not her. Her, he knew.

But he knew he'd have to bring up all the information that Xander had told him about who followed her. It made him feel sick to his stomach. But it had to be done. He brushed the thought aside and focused on remembering how her eyes became gooey honey when she looked at him.

Willa whined impatiently at his side, nestled into the sheets next to him. "Breakfast time?" He asked her and watched her ears perk up. "Yeah yeah, go make daddy a coffee. It's time you started pulling your weight around here."

Willa yapped in disagreement. Harry pushed a huge stretch out from every one of his limbs before rising and standing at the window.

The view of Central Park was laid out for him as if he owned it, green and glistening light off the skyscrapers framing it. Smatterings of grey, browns, blacks, silvers. His home sat in the skyline of the powerful city in which he'd built his empire. The view stabilised him, in a way. He'd worked so hard to get to where he was today.

He was the God of the kingdom he overlooked. Given his achievements, he'd gladly accept the title. Dio.

It was a reminder of the life that moved fast around him, the leaves changing as the seasons did. Between the burnt leaves, bright green fields, or a thick sheet of white snow. He adored the constant of it. He knew what was coming and was always prepared for it.

Just like everything in life, he was always one step ahead.

He took Willa out with him on his morning jog, like he often did on weekends. She made the perfect companion for him. They were so alike. Independent but secretly super needy. Loved exercising and loved food. Harry set her up with her bowl as he dug into his own breakfast, his heart warmed from coffee and her simple existence.

Harry opened up his phone, finding Scarlett and sending her a quick text.

Good morning, I'll pick you up at two.

And as he sent it, he frowned at how it seemed too formal for someone he cared so much about. He'd always been reserved and hated pleasantries over text but decided to try and break the habit. For her.

That work okay for you?

And then, a few seconds later, sent:

x

Scarlett rummaged around her apartment for the perfect outfit. Her hair was up in rollers, her makeup half done as she ran around in her panties. Her phone chimed and she groaned, ignoring it while she juggled her options in her hands.