chapter twenty-three: all in

Changes. Contrasts. Growth.

Simple concepts at a glance and simple parts of being human. Scarlett had grown so much as a person ever since things with her ex had gone south. She'd grown warier, she'd grown stronger. She'd grown a desire for her own control. She'd changed. Mostly for the better. Although sometimes, when she was at her worst, she wasn't so sure that was the case.

And all this time on, the contrast between who she was then and who was now was something she had to admire. She'd been weak back then. Forced to kneel for a man who didn't care about her. And now, men were at her feet. Fighting for her attention like desperate little puppies.

It was her second favourite disparity she'd seen for a while. Her first?

Harry.

Her affection for him had grown so much. Their connection started fast. Like a wildfire, burning out of control and verging on intimidating. At first, he spoke to her so boldly, although he himself withdrawn. He'd kept the most delightful parts on himself locked away so she couldn't see them.

And with every passing day, they watched as the stone encasing him slowly eroded and he became less and less guarded.

One of their first interactions, his hand around her throat and his words were fervent. Almost too much for her to grasp onto. The contrast was where they were now. His arms wrapped around her, his face tucked into her neck. His words just as staggering except now, they held so much more weight.

And when he had his hands around her throat, she enjoyed it. Probably more than she should have.

He was open when he never thought he'd be. She was safe and in control with him. When she never thought she'd be. And it felt good. To let go and be with each other and let the trauma float a little ways away down the stream. Still in the same current, just not pulling them under anymore.

Harry nestled in closer to her, the sun slowly streaming in but yet to illuminate him. He woke slowly, basking in the way she felt. So soft and gentle and giving. She was wearing one of his t-shirts and nothing else. His sheets smelt of her, warm and cocooning vanilla that he knew would make him drowsy before he slept tonight.

She let out a soft moan as she stretched and he hummed against her. Pulling her somehow even closer and throwing the blankets over their heads. She could feel how hard he'd worked her body the night before and pressed her eyes closed further, groggy and not wanting to wake yet.

He slinked from the sheets, tucking her in and leaving a soft kiss on her forehead before heading into the bathroom. The clock read 8:47 am and for once, he wasn't bothered about starting his workday. He had things he needed to do but what was the fun in being the boss if you couldn't do what you wanted? Small swirls of deeply embedded anxiety rocked through like it often did in the mornings, and freshened with a quick shower before going to harness the control he craved.

A soft tongue licked at her arm and she woke with a start. Willa, acting as her alarm clock, sniffed and nudged at her until she gave her a good scratch behind her ears.

"Morning, sweetness." Scarlett smiled and Willa gave a small yawn in response.

She felt the bed next to her, where Harry had been not long ago and the sheets were cold. She sat up fully with a stretch and took in her surroundings. His bedroom was beautiful that time of day, the sun beaming into space in a golden array of happiness. She couldn't help but smile. For the first time since she'd arrived in New York, she felt like she was doing something right. Like she was on the right path.

Thankfully, her workday was pretty relaxed. Just a few inventory checks, a couple of meetings to debrief, and an appalling amount of paperwork. She slipped from the bed, padding down the hallway and into the kitchen with Willa following closely. She grabbed a glass of water and her ears prickled at the sound of music, a song newly pressed play on.