chapter twenty-two: an ally

(c.w: sexual content)

Harry ripped the card from her hand, flipping it over and over to see if there was any kind of clue on it. Just the menacing words and the florist company name. He sent a brisk text to Xander, accompanied with a picture of it.

Scarlett had a delivery last night. You know what to do.

Xander's reply was immediate:

On it.

Harry tried to keep calm in front of her. He hoped whoever delivered the flowers was simply a deliveryman and not the man who followed her. Because the alternative meant that whoever had it out for her had access to her building. They also knew that Harry often sent her flowers. How long had they been watching?

"Is it the same guy, do you think?"

His expression was grim. "Most likely."

She sighed and he hated how shaky it was.

"Don't worry." He told her. "This is Xander's job. He'll have answers for us soon and then we'll know what to do."

"I just... I assumed they were from you, I feel so stupid-"

"Hey, you're not stupid. Don't ever say that." He encased her face in his large hands. "That's why they sent them because they knew you'd think that and that it would get a reaction out of me."

She pulled away from him and grabbed the offending flowers in a clenched fist. Harry watched her as she went over to the rubbish bin and shoved them inside with a huff.

"Also, peonies, sweetheart? You know I'm a roses kinda guy."

He was trying to calm the situation and she narrowed her eyes at his comment. "Not funny."

He sighed. "Look... I get that this is not an... ideal situation. But while Xander handles it, let's just ignore it. At least for a few hours, or until we know more."

Scarlett moved to him softly, grabbing his hands and sighting how chipped his nail polish was. The spread had been pristine before he left and she wondered what he'd been up to while he was away to put them in such a state.

"There's someone you want me to meet?" She ventured, trying to forget about everything that had happened in the last twenty-four hours. From her parents to the peonies.

He nodded gently.

"That's all you're going to give me?"

He laughed at her exasperated expression. "Come on, let's go."

Harry had driven himself again, the same vintage Porsche from before. He opened the door for her, made sure she was settled, and then went back into the building. He was brief, only a minute or two before he was in the car next to her and firing up the engine.

"What was that about?"

"Just had a chat with the receptionist." The term chat was a bit farfetched. The term threat was also too sinister. He really meant no harm, just another added security to Scarlett's safety. He'd simply ushered him to hurry along with getting that CCTV footage, and be mindful of who he was letting into the building.

The receptionist was also informed, very subtly, that Harry owned a gun.

"Oh, I'm sure it was just a chat, boss."

His dick twitched when she called him that and he took a second to look at her before focusing back on the road. "Don't you dare start with that."