Chapter 28- Shut Up and Kiss Me Already

Start from the beginning

"I know. I'm so sorry. Looking back on things I obviously didn't handle the situation well. If I could do it again—"

"Stop apologizing."

I grab the sides of Tyler's face and force him to look me directly in the eyes while I say this.

"You've proven how sorry you are and I forgive you. There's no need to keep apologizing. Besides, we both have made mistakes, neither of us is perfect. You tried reaching out to me a few weeks ago and I shut you down then because I was being childish and didn't want to hear you out..... What's more important now is that we have each other. I won't be letting you go so easily this time around either." I say with a smirk.

"I've waited so long to hear you say that." Tyler leans his forehead down to mine. He runs his hands along my arms and plants a kiss softly on the tip of my nose.

We stand there, in my driveway, lost in each other's arms for I'm not sure how long. Neither of us ready to let go of the other, but finally the cold November air starts to seep under my hoodie to my skin and I begin to shiver a little.

"How about we go get your car and then I'm taking you on a real date?"

"Tonight?" I give him a big smile. "I can't think of anything I'd rather do."

"Good."

Tyler walks me to the passenger side of his Jeep. He gives my hand a kiss before letting go of me to open the door so I can climb in. His car smells like him. A mixture of his body wash and cologne, the scent taking me back to the first time I ever rode with him after the opening football game. The memory makes me smile to myself as he hops into the driver's seat.

"What are you smiling about, pretty girl?"

"Just thinking about how happy I am."

"Me too."

Tyler takes my hand again and laces his fingers between mine. Our arms entangled on the center console when he begins to drive away from my house.

"But you're gonna give me some time to get ready before we go out tonight, right?" I question.

I gesture to my current wardrobe. I'm wearing my most comfy, oversized and very mismatched sweatpants and hoodie. I'd thrown them on as soon as I got home before curling up in my bed to read his journal. My hair in a messy bun on top of my head, any makeup I'd had on earlier today is most definitely gone. Washed away from the steady stream of tears that have been shed. Realizing right now I probably should have changed and washed my face before I had texted him.

As if he can read my thoughts like he always can.

"Lila, you do realize I think you look perfect in anything that you wear, right?"

Tyler's smile is genuine and I know he's being completely honest.

"But yes, if you want to get ready before we go, that'll give me some time to get everything set up."

"Ok good." I squeeze his hand to say thank you for the sweet compliment. "Where are we going by the way?"

"That's for me to know and for you to find out later." His playful, arrogant grin I'm all too familiar with is back on his face.

"But.....wha—" I cross my arms over my chest knowing he's loving having the upper hand in this situation. But also, if I'm honest, it's also completely adorable. No guy has ever wanted to plan a surprise date for me before.

****

Tyler will be here any minute to pick me up. I'm finishing up curling my hair. I decided on wearing a chunky cream colored knit sweater and dark jeans. It's feminine but still practical for the November weather since I have no idea what we will be doing tonight. Tyler refused to give me any hints even though I texted him again to ask.....it was worth a shot at least.