Numb

*Camilo*

With a huge cracking noise, the old woman had appeared behind me, grabbed Y/N's arm and disappeared. I yelled out, reaching out for her as she had disappeared right before my eyes. "No!" I yelled as my hands closed on nothing but air, falling forward onto my hands and knees.

"Y/N!" Mirabel screamed, running to the place where they had disappeared, looking around desperately.

"What happened?" Dolores asked panickily. "Where did they go?"

I scrambled to my feet. "What happened? Where did she take her?" I asked Mirabel desperately.

"You want to go after her?" Isabela asked, her eyes narrowed. "She just admitted to lying to you! She stole from our family! Because of her, we are all in danger - all of us, your parents, Antonio!"

I faltered, the reality of what had happened before she was taken hitting me again. She had lied to me. How could she have done that? While I understood all of the reasons she was saying, it all made sense - if she was hiding those things from someone else. But this was supposed to be me, supposed to be us. We didn't lie, we didn't hide things. I would have understood if she had just come to me first. I could have talked her out of even thinking she needed a gift. What didn't she understand about the fact that she was already enough for me? I would have married her in the future, would have protected her from her dad - all without a gift. I looked over at Mirabel, rage building in my chest slowly. Y/N had said Mirabel was the one to begin the research, the one who went to her that night with the idea. Mirabel seemed to understand the way my mind was turning, because her face slowly turned from fear for Y/N to the realization that I was beginning to blame her.

"I know what you're thinking," she said miserably. 

I stared at her, trying to calm down and breathe, trying to remember that losing it wasn't the answer. This was Mirabel. No one understood more than me what she went through that night when she didn't get her gift. I had gotten my gift just a few months earlier, and we had both been so excited, finally getting our gifts so close together, getting to finally be like our big sisters and make the family proud, do our part. When she hadn't gotten one and we watched the door disappear, I stayed in the nursery all night with her while she cried. I refused to shapeshift for weeks afterwards, insisting that if she didn't get a gift, I didn't want one, either, until Abuela had a stern talking-to with me about my duty to the family and the village and not letting Mirabel hold me back. But still ... it was so hard to grasp that she had let her feelings about having no gift take her this far, that she had involved Y/N without telling me. Why hadn't anyone just talked to me? None of this had to happen. I yelled out in anger suddenly, spinning around and putting my face in my hands, making everyone jump.

"Camilo, please, I am going to regret this the rest of my life," she begged, tears rolling down her cheeks. "I can say sorry a thousand times, and I will, but right now, I have to go get Y/N."

"Where is she?" I asked, anger still pulsing through me, mixed with fear at what they might be doing to her. The intensity of all the different emotions was making my head feel like it was about to explode.

"They probably took her back to their camp in the forest," she said. "I'm going after her."

"Like hell you are," Isabela said, cutting in. "We are all going inside right now and telling our parents what happened here, NOT walking right up the psychopaths who are threatening us and planning to steal our magic!"

"We can't just let them hurt her!" I yelled at her. "She made a mistake, she doesn't deserve to die!"

"And we don't deserve to lose our gifts, our family, over some stupid girl!" Isabela yelled back. "We need to tell our parents so that we can make a plan for when they come! These people already nearly killed you! And you want to walk right back up to them??"