Chapter 1: It's Not Over

Book 2: Family
Chapter 1: It's Not Over

Book 1 Recap

Forty-one years after The Legend Of Korra finale, a sixteen year old Earthbender named Jiansu discovers he can Airbend. He begins a quest to master Earth, Fire, Air, and Water, but his journey is cut short when his twin sister, a Firebender named Akira, discovers she can Waterbend. After a lot of confusion, they learn that the Avatar Spirit, Raava, was injured and almost destroyed, causing her to be reborn as two separate people. The siblings learn about Vaatu, the Spirit of Darkness and Chaos, who has taken human form and leads the tyrannical Earth Empire. Together, the siblings learn the other elements and destroy the Dark Avatar, fulfilling a ten-thousand year old prophecy and saving the world. Jiansu restores the lost connection to the past Avatars, but in doing so, he pays a price worse than death.

The Main Characters

Jiansu - One of the twin Avatars. An Earthbender by birth, who also has an affinity for Airbending. He has mastered subsets like Metalbending and Lavabending, and carries with him the same glider-staff that belonged to Aang and Korra. Jiansu cares deeply about his family and his Avatar responsibilities, and will stop at nothing to ensure that balance is maintained, even if it means literally selling his own soul, a gambit that he has kept secret for a long time. Though he is very spiritual and always tries to work things out peacefully like Aang, he is also a very aggressive brute-strength fighter, a trait he shares with Korra, and is more than capable when push comes to shove.

Akira - Jiansu's twin sister. She's a Firebender by birth, and also has the ability to Waterbend. She has learned the arts of healing and lightning redirection, and by necessity, she hesitantly learned the dark art of Bloodbending. Akira is a bit hot-headed, and often makes impulsive decisions without second thought, much like Korra. But when it comes to compassion, she's a carbon copy of Aang, tender-hearted to the core. Although she is ruled by her emotions, she always tries to do the right thing, and will do anything to protect the people she cares about.

•••••

Jiansu

Fog hung in the air over the city of Taku. Avatar Jiansu sat upon an old stone footing and tried to enjoy the cool afternoon air. He wore his faded green military jacket over a green kimono and black cargo pants with the ankles tucked down into his combat boots. He held his broken metal armor in his hands, looking at his reflection in the shiny gray plates. His face was dotted with cuts and bruises. His lip was busted and swollen. His dark brown hair grew like wildflowers. He had just gotten it cut a few weeks ago, but it was already hanging down in his eyes. The dark circles underneath his emerald green eyes alluded to his lack of sleep. With a sigh, Jiansu tossed the broken armor aside and looked around. His fellow insurrectionists were wandering back and forth, weary from a long week of close calls. Jiansu's girlfriend Kinlei brought him a cup of white jade tea. He was so lost in thought that he didn't realize it until she opened his hand and placed the wooden cup in it.

He looked up at her and forced a smile. "Thank you."

Kinlei sat down and put her arm around him. She was wearing her Airbender wingsuit, as she normally did when they were on the front lines. The suit's torso, thighs, and forearms were yellow. The wings, belt, and upper arms were orange. The boots and shin guards were brown. The wings were held against the wearer's rib cage by brass snaps. Kinlei had a mildly athletic build, dark skin, light brown hair kept up in a messy bun, and grayish hazel eyes.

"You're going to worry yourself to death. Just relax." She told him.

Jiansu sipped his tea and thought about the current situation. For the past eight months he had been leading a military campaign to bring down the Earth Empire. Oppressed citizens from all over the Empire were joining their cause. After New Gansu had been captured two years ago, Jiansu had traveled to the Wu Long Peninsula, where he defeated the governor of the province in an Earthbending duel. Afterwards he had gone into the Avatar State and destroyed a local military base, causing the army to flee. Jiansu's allies captured several tanks and airships to use. Then they had gone south of New Gansu and, over the course of a few months, had captured the rest of the land that had once been known as the United Republic. The other nations had announced they would protect the New Republic's sovereignty, so the Earth Empire had backed off and let it be its own nation again.