Chapter 5. Arc Reactor

Start from the beginning

Having an audience in the form of Mei, the principal, Aizawa, Power Loader, and a chunk of 1-A both helped and didn't. It all but put more stress and pressure on him hoping his work would work

Izuku gulped while looking through the reinforced window of the Control Room at the Testing Room. It was decently big, but the only thing stationed there was his Arc Reactor, which took up a huge chunk of the room being 2 stories tall., which would supply electricity to jump-start the whole thing, and one supercapacitor to gather energy produced by the device.

He took a deep breath. It was showtime. Everything was ready for him to begin.

"Jarvis, are we ready to begin?" Izuku asked, hovering his hands over the keyboard shakily while breathing heavy to try and calm his nerves.

"Yes, sir. We're good to go." came Jarvis voice through the room's speakers sounding happy.

He heard whispers behind him but ignored them. This was more important at the moment, this will change the world for the better or it would crash and burn before it got started

He typed the start command, and soon on the screen, he saw the visualization of the process. He observed the electricity flowing from the transformer to the Reactor, but nothing happened with the device. He grabbed a dial and turned it slowly, monitoring the increase in voltage, accidentally causing the lights in the Testing Room to flicker on and off.

This caused him to sweat a little thinking it might not work, then doubts began to race through his mind as he wondered if maybe he messed something up or put the wrong code in or even worse... messed up somewhere when he built this.

Then a soft whine could be heard, his eyes went from the screens to the Reactor, and his breathing stopped. The giant reactor started to glow blue and hum as a flow of electricity started to course through it lighting up the room even more. He couldn't believe his eyes, holding his breath for a few seconds longer to confirm his mind is not playing tricks. He could barely believe it.

"Jarvis... My eyes are occupied with the reactor... Please tell me the numbers and parameters" he said sounding both nervous and beyond excited since it looked to be working.

"Congratulations, sir. The Arc Reactor shows above optimal readings. The device is fully functional and shall help you change the world" Jarvis happily replied.

Izuku clasped a hand over his mouth and took a step back, shaking slightly. His legs felt like jelly, and soon he'd fallen on his back. He saw the concerned face of Mei hovering over him and asking him something, but he didn't react. His brain was busy with processing what just happened. It worked all his hard work finally paid off. He couldn't stop smiling at this.

"It works." He whispered. It didn't feel real. A chuckle escaped his mouth. "It works!" The chuckle turned into full-blown laughter. He conquered another mountain and was a step closer toward his dream of becoming the person to forever change the world and then... become a hero.

With the help of his friends, he stood up and glanced at the screens. All parameters where in the green zone and showed that everything was working properly and the energy output was about the level he calculated so many times over and over again from sleepless nights. His dream is finally a reality.

He heard clapping and someone whistling behind him and someone yell manly in the back and he turned towards his audience. They were clapping and cheering at him. He allowed himself to bask in the praise. He deserved it, over eight years of studying, brainstorming, and theorizing, mixed up with many sleepless nights, were poured into this exact moment.

"So... how does it work?" Came the question from Kirishima

"Yes, I'd also like to know how it functions, Midoriya. You only told me what it would do." The principal stated with a grin forming on his face.

He saw everyone looking at him expectantly, Mei was even bouncing with excitement next to Yaoyorozu, who had a hard time not joining her. Well... it was time for nerd talk, as Stan called it.

"Cold fusion releases measurable energy from fusion reactions at or near room temperature when deuterium is dissolved in a solid, usually palladium metal. The idea, which has its roots in research going back to the 1920s, is that hydrogen and its isotopes can dissolve to such high concentrations in certain solids that the hydrogen nuclei approach closer to one another than even in solid hydrogen. Furthermore, negative electrical charges from the electrons of the solid host partly cancel the repulsion between the nuclei. Early experiments did not detect any signs of fusion, however. Furthermore, modern theoretical calculations show that the proposed effects, while real, are much too small to produce detectable rates of fusion".

Most of class 1A was looking at him in complete shock during his explanation and the staff wasn't that far as well.

"Electrochemists Martin Fleischmann and Stanley Pons decided to revisit room-temperature fusion. Their technique is to pass current through an electrolytic cell consisting of a palladium (Pd) cathode, platinum (Pt) anode and LiOD (a compound of lithium, oxygen and deuterium, or heavy hydrogen) electrolyte in heavy water (water containing deuterium in place of the ordinary hydrogen). The cathodic reaction liberates unbound atoms of deuterium (D), which enter palladium much more rapidly than do deuterium molecules. Under proper conditions, the concentration can build up to 0.9 or more deuterium atoms per palladium atom, at which point the loss of deuterium balances its rate of implantation. Pons and Fleischmann's cells were part of a calorimeter (heat-measuring device), whose temperature rise on a few occasions indicated on the order of 10 percent excess power, that is, about 10 percent more power leaving the cell than electrical power used to run it".

Izuku gazed at his audience and saw their stunned expressions. 1-A had their jaws on the floor, and someone whispered 'simple my ass'. One pink skinned girl if he remembered was named Mina was grabbing her hair.

Most of them looked like they had learned more about physics in the last five minutes than in their entire lives He thought that he saw steam rising up from a few heads and some looked to be brain dead. He heard the Nezu's manic laughter and witnessed him ripping apart a piece of paper and throwing it in the air, it looked like his I.Q. test. Power Loader just stood there mumbling under his breath. And Mei...

She terrified him. She was looking at him like a piece of meat and she was the predator. Her eyes were half lidded and her face was extremely flushed and sweaty.

Nezu, after collecting himself, stepped forward and presented him with a stack of papers and a pen. "Just like we agreed, Midoriya we will now be business partners".

He took them and started looking through documents. When he confirmed that everything was like it should be, not that he believed the principal would lie to him, he signed it and gave back with a massive smile.

"Principal, if I may?" Yaoyorozu asked, gaining a nod. "What was that just now?".

Nezu chuckled at the innocent question. "Let's just say that from today, the school and young Midoriya are kind of business partners and I'm quite excited to see what else he has in stored". Nezu was beyond excited to see what Izuku will bring in the future and hoped that he will continue to change the world.

"Good job Midoriya" said Power Loader walking towards him.

Before he could get any closer Mei appeared Infront of Izuku and pulled him into a hug.

"THIS IS AMAZING I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU CAME UP WITH SOMETHING THIS AMAZING!!!" Yelled Mei still red in the face and had a sudden urge to kiss him.

"Hehe thank you... Next step... To become a hero.." said Izuku with a fire in his eyes that made Nezu laugh even harder.