Reconnection

The team watched the strange exchange with interest. A woman they had no knowledge of was working in the building, hugging a man that they had never met, who had apparently provided intel on a Hydra base. They all thought it was incredibly odd until Tony piped up again.

"Nick Bradshaw is a Navy Commander. Back when Stark Industries sold...other things, his regiment was our primary contact for that branch of the military. Of course, he was a lowly Ensign back in those days." Tony explained as Nick eventually let you down. Nick then turned to the room, although Bucky did not miss the fact that his arms were still wrapped around you.

"Well the only reason I climbed the ranks so quickly was from your interference, Stark." Nick laughed, finally releasing you and walking over to Tony, shaking his hand once he reached him. "This guy seemed to spot my potential quicker than the Admiral."

Tony shrugged humbly, as if he didn't know that he probably changed this kid's life completely. But Tony was too self-aware to not know that.

"So how do you know about this base?" Steve asked, interrupting the apparent reconnection between old friends.

"We were running some practice drills around the Peruvian coast actually, testing out some new equipment-" Nick started.

"You didn't buy that from me?!" Stark gasped in feign offence.

"Well someone decided not to sell military weapons anymore." Nick teased, with a smile. The team seemed to be relaxing in his presence; he came across as incredibly charming. Bucky wasn't fooled. "One of our radars picked up the heat signature, once me and the Captain looked into the building's history a bit more, it seemed the right thing to do to send the recording over to Stark." Nick said coolly, clapping a hand on Tony's shoulder, making the billionaire return the gesture. "Plus, I fancied making the trip to see some old friends." He added, winking over at you, who had been watching the presentation from the side.

Bucky whipped his head over to you to see you smile back. He felt like his blood was boiling inside him.

The meeting continued in the background while Bucky was analysing the interactions in front of him. You didn't shy away from Nick's touch. You weren't making sarcastic remarks. You weren't even glancing at Bucky anymore.

Old friend? He wasn't sure that was entirely true. But then again, it's not like he knew much about you to begin with.

At some point, the team started warming up to Nick as well. They'd moved from their seats to all huddling around the display, listening to Nick's detailed explanation of the area surrounding the building as they planned a route in to investigate. Bucky stayed in his seat.

He heard someone take the seat next to him, the back of the chair squeaking a little with the movement. He looked to see Nat holding out her tablet.

"He checks out." She said, as Bucky took the tablet, seeing a Navy file on Nick open. "Been in the Navy for 10 years, which crosses over with the time Stark would have still been in that business. His regiment is currently stationed in Trujilo on the coast of Peru."

Bucky hummed to let her know he was listening as he scrolled through the documents on the screen.

"Also found out her real name."

Bucky's eyes shot up to Nat's. She was smiling.

"You're interested?" Nat asked, nodding knowingly when Bucky was silent. "She was his emergency contact when he first signed up. Strange, considering his connection to Stark. Maybe she's been working with him since then and just kept it quiet. She still doesn't have a file though, even under her real name."