Chapter Eleven Katherine, Gordon and Fear

Gemma looked in the mirror and touched her eye.  The swelling had gone down a lot but it was going to leave one ugly bruise.  Her lip was puffy with an angry red cut was in the corner.  Both wrist had red bands around them where the rope had left their mark from being tied to a chair.  In short, she was a mess.  The hot bath helped but nothing could wash away the memories.

    “You okay in there,” Finn knocked on the door.

    “Yeah, I’ll be out in a minute.”  Gemma took a deep then opened the door.  The look on Finn’s face was more than she could stand.

    He was sitting at the only table in the room.  All the information was laid out in front of him.  She had no choice but to sit with him when all she wanted to do was hid in the corner.

    “You okay, “ he asked again.

    Gemma nodded and sat down opposite of Finn.

    He stared at her.  “We need to talk about what happened.”

    Gemma grabbed a file folder. “We need to find the spear.”

    “Okay. I’ll leave it alone for now,” he said, garnering a look from Gemma.  “Tell me your theory about Katherine.”

    This is what Gemma did the best. She leaned forward and said, “When I was going  through my dad’s journals I saw something he mentioned a place called St. Katherine’s”

    “What did he have to say?”

    Suddenly there was a knock on the door.  Finn motioned for Gemma to stand behind the door while he opened it.  A distinguish looking man who Finn had never seen stood there.

    “Can I help you?”

    “Gordon!” Gemma said throwing herself at him.  She clung to him while he stroked her hair.  Then he held her at arms length and looked at her.  “Are you alright, my dear?”

    Gemma blinked back the tears that had gathered in her eyes and threatened to spill over. “I am now.”

    For the first time, Gordon acknowledged Finn.  “Thank you.  I will always grateful to you for what you did.

    “Come in,” Gemma said and pulled him by the arm into the room.  “What brings you here?’       

    “Can’t I come and see you without a reason?”

    “You could, but you always have a reason,” she teased.

    “I’ve been thinking, maybe we should abandon the search for the spear for now,” he begin.

    “No.” Gemma shook her head.  “These relics we search for are important.  You said so yourself.  To important to let for into the wrong hands.”

    A look of pain crossed his face.  “But never at the expense of the hunter.”

    “Would you be saying this if I was a male hunter?” Gemma demanded angrily.

    “It’s not because of your sex, Gemma.  You are the best hunter I have.  You skills are impeccable but I would hate to lose you on a more personal level.  You are like a daughter to me, Gemma.  Humor an old man,” he said.

    “Your not old, Gordon and I don’t need to humor you.  I need to finish what I started.”

    “The spear could hold power beyond imaginable.  The order would stop at nothing to get their hands on it.”

    “Then let me finish,” Gemma demanded angerily.  “I can do this.”

    Gordon tucked her hair behind her ear the touched her black eye.  “The order will pay for this.”  He cleared his throat.  “Where are you at right now?”