Chapter Seven What Makes Finn Tick

Finn opened his eyes.  “Ouch!” he touched his temple then fingered his swollen lip and jaw.

    “Here,” Gemma handed him a ice wrapped in a towel.  “That’s going to leave a mark.”

    “What happened?”

    “You were decked by one of Jonathan’s goons.”

    “Only one?” he said gingerly touching the ice pack to his jaw.  He looked around the hotel room.   “How did I get up here?”

    “It wasn’t easy but I managed.”

    “You?” Finn said. 

    “Well, you helped.  You just don’t remember.  By the way, the hotel manager has branded you a troublemaker and he wants us out of here tomorrow morning.”

    “Troublemaker.  How?”

    Gemma shrugged.  “I had to tell him something.  You came staggering in with your face all bloodied and swollen I could barley hold you up.  I told him you got mugged.  So he wants us to leave.”

    “Because I got mugged?”

    “Because he didn’t believe me and he doesn’t want any trouble.”

    Finn swung his legs off the bed and sat up and looked at her.  He reached out and touched her neck. “What happened there,”

    Gemma stood up and pulled her collar closer around her neck. “I had a little run in with Jonathan, that’s all.”   

    Finn was beside her in two seconds. “Jonathan did this?”

    Gemma waved him away.  “It’s nothing.”

    Jonathan didn’t believe her but let it go for the moment “Did Jonathan get the map and the etching?”

    Gemma turned around.  “Yes.  I gave it to him.”

    “Why did you do that?  After all we went through to get it.”

    Gemma thought back to the threat Jonathan made against Finn.  “I didn’t have a choice.”

    “There’s always a choice.   So, what do we do now?  We don’t have the etching.  How are we going figure out where the next place is.”

    Gemma walked to the window and look down at the Cathedral.  “I still have the pictures I took at the towers.”  She turned towards Finn. “We need to figure this out before Jonathan does.”

    “Do you have them with you?”

    Gemma took an envelope off the chair and pulled out some pictures.  “I had these developed while you were knocked.....asleep.”

    Finn looked at her and raised an eyebrow.  “Lay them out and let’s have a look.”

    Gemma spread the pictures out on the bed then sat cross legged in front of them. “Those lines and dots must mean something.”  She picked up one and examined it closer.

    After a few minutes of silence Finn asked.  “Tell me about KOAR.”

    Gemma sat the picture back on the bed.  “I don’t know much.  Gordon just tells me what I need to know when I need tot know it.  But what I gathered is they are a secret society, a brotherhood, if you please, dedicated to keeping ancient relics hidden. To preserve them.”

    “Have they ever given you any trouble?”

    Gemma shook her head. “They have always helped me.  Given me directions, places to stay,  things like that.  They always seem to know where I am at.  Whenever I needed help they were always there,” Gemma shrugged.  “I do know that whenever I turn over a relic to Gordon he catalogues it then it’s gone I don’t know where it went and Gordon doesn’t say.”