Chapter Five Ghost, Guy, and Other Things

****Author’s note:    While some of this story is fact taken from various sources  I had embellished and add to the facts. This is not to tarnish any history but to hopefully make the story a little more enjoyable.   Remember it’s a rough, rough draft, so be nice.  Be sure to leave comments, critiques, and suggestions.       Thanks.

    “Are you crazy,” Finn said.  “We can’t break into the Notre Dame Cathedral.”

    “Technically, it’s not the Cathedral.  And why not?”

    Finn blinked in surprise. Perplexed that she would even asked such a thing.  “Because...because.,” he stammered.  Try as he might he couldn’t think of a reason why they shouldn’t.

    “Right,” she said, as she open the door to their hotel room.  “What we need is a plan.”
She paced the floor then stopped and stared out the window at the Cathedral.  The sheer beauty was awe inspiring.  She spun around quickly.

    “Where is that brochure?”

    Finn handed her the pamphlet and she flipped through several times looking at the information and the picture.  “Right here,” she pointed at the brochure. “It closed at 6:30 and there are no guards.”

    Finn stood up and looked out the window.  “But there are several hundred people out there and the place is lit up like a beacon.”  He shook his head.  “We’ll never make it.”

    Gemma grinned.  He didn’t know who he was dealing with.  She had broken into more places without getting caught than the FBI and CIA combined.  “It’s easy, Finn.  Blend in and act like you belong and no one will even notice you.”

    “I don’t know how to be a ghost.  I don’t go around breaking into things.”

    Gemma studied him.  “You broke into Jonathan Drakes house.”

    “Technically, I didn’t break in.  I just walked in with other people.”

    Gemma nodded and grinned.  “A ghost.  Hiding in plain sight.  It’s really easy, Finn.  Just don’t do anything to attract attention to yourself.”  With that face, she thought it might be a hard thing to do.

    Ten minutes later they had changed into dark clothes with a bright shirt on over that.”
    It was midnight when they left the hotel.  For so late in the day the streets were still buzzing with tourist.  “Tell me again the reason for the bright shirt?”

    “To blend in with the crowd.  Once inside we take it off and turn invisible in the dark.  Simple.”

    Gemma and Finn walked out of the hotel like too young tourist set out to see Paris.  They crossed the street and headed for the Cathedra.  Finn was stiff.  He needed to relax.  When Gemma reached out and slipped her arm through Finn’s   He  flinched.

    “Relax, Finn.  We’re suppose to act normal, remember?”

    “I am.  I just didn’t know you were going to grab me, that’s all.”

    She let go of him.  “If you try not to be repulsed by my touch I’ll try not to grab you again.”
    Finn looked at Gemma, one eye brow raised.  “Touched a sore spot, huh?”

    Gemma rolled her eyes.

    “So, how many guys are repulsed by your touch”

    Gemma knew better than to look at him.  Knew better than to look into his eyes.   But she did anyway.  She turned away.  Yep.  It was a mistake.  The dimpled grinned and the crystal green eyes were mesmerizing.    She hitched her satchel high on her shoulder.  “Look maybe, your right.  Maybe you shouldn’t do this.  This is my search.  It has nothing to do with you.”

    Gemma walked away from him and sat down on a bench and stared up at the Cathedral.
She was aware he sat several feet away from her even though she never looked at him.  Gemma focused on an older couple who sat a few seats from her.  They were holding hands and the gentleman gave his wife a drink.  Gemma glanced at Finn, who was staring at her.  She quickly glanced back at the couple.

    “Sweet.  Isn’t that what you Americans say.”

    Gemma turned to see a dark haired guy sitting next to her.  He wasn’t much older than she was and by his accent he was French.  She quickly glanced at the older couple.  It was sweet the way the older gentleman was holding his wife’s hand.

    Gemma glanced over at Finn who was glaring at her.  She turned her back and focused on the guy next to her. “Yes.  It is sweet.  Some people know how to treat a lady.”

    “We Frenchmen know how to make a lady happy,” he said.

    Gemma shot a quick glance at Finn.

    “Maybe I should teach him some lessons.  This man you keep staring at, no?”
    Gemma shook her head and grinned. “No.”

    “How do you like our city?”

    “I like it.  It holds a lot of mystery.”

    “My name is Guy.” (Which is pronounce Gee) The guy said then stuck out his hand.
    Gemma reached out and took it surprised at the softness. “Gemma,” she said.

    Guy took her hand and  raised it to his lips as her satchel fell to the ground,. “You like mysteries, Gemma.”

    Gemma resisted the urge to pull her hand back and wipe it off.  “I can show you around our city.  Show you the mysteries Paris has to offer.”

    Gemma did pulled her hand back then.  “Uh. No, thank you.  We, uh, have plans.”

    “Ah,” he said.  “The young man who can’t takes his eyes off you.  I think, maybe, we should make him jealous, no?”

    Gemma shook her head.  Maybe this was a mistake, she thought.  But before she could say anything Finn was standing in front of her.

    “We need to leave,” he said.

    Gemma stood up quickly.  Too quickly as her satchel fell to the ground.  Guy picked it up and handed it back to her.  “I believe this belongs to you, no?”

    Gemma nodded and took her satchel while Finn grabbed her arm and pulled her away.   

    They walked closer to the Cathedral.  “Is this your ideal of blending in?” Finn hissed.

    “I was blending in.  I was acting normal not sulking like a jealous schoolboy,” Gemma hissed back.
    “Jealous?” Finn said.  “Ha!”

    For some reason the irked Gemma even more.  She was about to tell him that when Finn said.  “I’m sorry.”

    “What?”

    Finn turned to Gemma and raised his hands in frustration.  “For whatever you think I did.  I’m sorry.”

    Gemma opened her mouth then closed it again.  She had totally forgot why she got upset in the first place.  “Come on,” she said.

    They strolled in front of the Cathedral.  Anyone watching thought they were just two tourist looking at the sights.  No one would suspect that Gemma noticed the lights stopped ten feet from the Cathedral or if you stood next to the Cathedral behind the lights no one can see you.  Or that the door had a lock that could easily be picked in under five minutes, if you knew how.  And Gemma knew how.