Chapter nine Gemma's in Trouble

Gemma re-read the note. This could be the break they’ve been waiting for.  Where was Finn?  He should have been back by now.  She paced the room and looked at the note again.

      She knew she should wait for Finn but she couldn’t take the risk and it did say come alone.  She left a quick note for Finn then rushed out the door.  Twenty minutes later she was waiting at the fountain for her contact.

    The crowded square was the perfect place to meet him.  For one, it was, well, crowded.  And, if she need be there were a lot of places to run too.

    “Well, I really didn’t think you would show up,” a voice said behind her.

    Gemma twirled around and came face to face with the man who she seen watching her last night.

    Up close she could tell he was older and heavier than she thought at first.  His protruding stomach stretched his white suit almost to the breaking point and he was sweating profusely under his hat.  He bowed slightly, “My name is Lassiter and I’m afraid I got you here under false pretense, my dear.”

    This was not good.

    “I represent a man who wishes to see you.  So if you would come along with me we can get this over with.”

    “What make you think I would go anywhere with you.”

    Lassiter smiled and nodded  slightly as two men appeared, one behind Gemma and one beside her.  With Lassiter in front of her and the fountain on the other side she was surrounded.  Lassiter had picked the perfect spot, too.

    Oh, this was so not good.

    “As you can see there is no escape.”

    Gemma’s eyes darted around trying to find a way out of this mess. The square was crowded maybe if she...

    “There is no escape, Gemma,”Lassiter said. “But if you need more convincing, right now there is someone watching Finn and if you are not delivered then, bam, no more Finn.”

    Gemma knew she should scream or yell for help but she couldn’t risk Finns life.  But she couldn’t just let him take her, either.  So she did the only thing she could do.  She jumped over the side of the fountain and made her way to the other side.  If she made it she might have a fighting chance.

    “Get her,” Lassiter hissed.

    The two goons rushed to the other side of the fountain as a few people stopped and stared.

    “Help me,” Gemma yelled.

     “It’s alright, folks.  Just a little disciplinary problem.  My daughter is being rebellious.  Come along dear it is time to go.”  He smiled at the crowd who began to disbursed.  “What’s a father to do, huh?”

    The two goons grabbed Gemma and helped her out of the fountain.  Lassiter turned to Gemma, “Behave if you want to see Finn, again..”
    As soon as they got into Lasiter’s car, Gemma felt a cloth cover her mouth. She struggled to stay awake as the chloroform slowly stole her conscience away.

* * *

    Finn unlocked the door to the hotel room and waited for the yelling to begin.  He was gone longer than he expected and he knew Gemma was going to be upset.  She is probably starved by now and they needed to get back to figuring out who Katherine was.  When he opened the door he knew something was wrong.  The room was dark.

    “Gemma?” he called and flipped on the light switch.

    “Gemma?” he called again.  No one answered.  Something wasn’t right.