Mirror Mirror

The night was dark, cold and rainy

The night was dark, cold and rainy. People rushed to get into their homes as fast as they could with either their umbrella protecting them or their hood. Latte was no different, his open umbrella preventing him from getting wet as he entered the apartment building . He greeted the admin, walking up the stairs to his apartment where his parents greeted him.

"How was your day Latte?" His dad asked, ruffling his hair with a tired smile.

He shrugged. "It was alright, nothing much happened."

"Oh! By the way," His mom interrupted, handing him a mirror with an intricate golden frame. "Someone left this for you in the mailbox."

Latte looked at it with fascination. He smiled at his parents and told them that he would be in his room to do some homework.

When he entered his room, Latte locked the door and a sigh of relief escaped his lips. He removed his jacket and backpack, tossing them onto his desk and sat down on his bed. It was a long day, dealing with classmates who he could barely tolerate, teachers that seemed to only be there for the paycheck and to not actually teach the kids. It was all too much for him.

As he laid down to relax, he remembered the mirror that his mom gave him. He wondered who could have given it to him, something as elegant as this would have been sold in some antique store.

Latte's hands admired the golden frame of the mirror. It was carved to look like some sort of plant, woody nightshade maybe? It was gorgeous really, though he doubted that the frame was actually gold but if it was, the person who sent it to him must have been loaded.

As he continued to admire the beautiful carvings, he started to notice that his reflection was morphing into someone different. Latte was about to investigate until someone started knocking on his door.

He placed the mirror down on his bed and opened his door.

"Hey sweetheart," His mom started. She looked as tired as usual, same as his dad, though Latte usually preferred to ignore those aspects that all of them have. "Could you please take care of your brother for tonight? We have to work and-"

"Alright." He cut them off. "I'll take care of it, don't worry."

His parents looked at him worriedly but he only returned that look with a smile.

"You don't have to." His dad tried to change his mind but Latte only shook his head.

"I'll be fine. Just be careful out there."

The teen accompanied his parents to the front door of the apartment and waved them goodbye. Latte then headed to his little brother's room.

He knocked once, twice before entering on his own. The room was dimly lit and he could see the faint outline of his brother laying in bed. Latte quietly sat next to him.

"Hey James, how are you?" He whispered to him, only to receive a grunt in response. "What do you want for dinner?"

"...Nothing, I'm not hungry."