"Tell me about you," said Enzo to Maddy, who was leaning on the wall. "I'd rather not discuss the many more years I was under Augustine's thumb. I'm free now. I'd like to forget those moments of my past."

She ended up telling him everything that had happened since the nineteen fifties. She tried not to mention all the awful things that had happened between her and Damon recently, since she could sense that Enzo was not Damon's biggest fan at the moment.

"And now," said Maddy, "we found you. Klaus also has proof that you and I are related. You were the son of my half-brother, Leonardo Salvatore."

Enzo whistled. "I knew there was something about you I liked. Damon, however..."

"Do you want to see him? To discuss... everything?"

He shook his head. "Rather not." He gestured between Maddy and Klaus. "How did you two meet?"

"Chicago, in the nineteen twenties," Klaus said. "Your aunt—"

"Sister," said Maddy, scrunching up her nose. "He may be my nephew but I don't want him to call me his aunt."

"Very well, then. Your sister and Stefan were there at the same time that my sister and I were. It was difficult for me to resist approaching her."

"How come I wasn't blessed with the Salvatore eyes, eh?" asked Enzo, gesturing to his face.

"Not all Salvatores have had blue eyes," said Maddy. "I can count on one hand how many Salvatores came out with brown eyes. You, Zachariah, Joseph, S—" she quickly corrected herself to a point where Enzo didn't notice her slip up, "someone else whose name I'm blanking on, and I think Lavinia. Zachariah is your half-brother. Long since dead. Then there's Stefan, who for some reason has green eyes. Part of being a doppelgänger, I guess."

"I never knew my family," said Enzo, tucking his hands in his pockets. Maddy was surprised his clothes were so modern. Maybe Wes hadn't wanted him to be in rags. "And suddenly I have... how many family members, since my birth?"

"Um... focusing on blood relatives, there's me, my brothers, my dad, your dad, your mom, your half-brother, and... the lineage after that. Eight others. The only ones still around are me and my brothers."

"Meanwhile," said Klaus, "I've only two obnoxious siblings left. Everyone else is quite dead."

"Are all your siblings as... delightful as you?" asked Enzo.

Klaus grinned in a slightly wicked manner, as if teasing him. "What's the matter, mate, not pleased with your sister's choice in men?"

"I'm confident enough to express the fact that you would be terrifying if you weren't in a relationship with my sister."

Klaus batted his eyelashes innocently. "Are you implying that I can't be terrifying now?"

"Don't test him," Maddy told Enzo with a light laugh. "He's got enough on his plate these days."

"Ah, yes," said Klaus, rolling his eyes. "Witches and their absurd rituals... playing pretend at parties... cementing the trust of a man who was like a son to me, all to dethrone him."

Enzo seemed confused. "You two parented a child together?"

Maddy turned beet red. "Oh, no, no... that was before we met. Before I was even born, actually, which is um, really weird to say in hindsight. Wow. Marcel was thirty-three when I was born. That's even weirder. I'm going to stop talking now."

Klaus chuckled, patting her shoulder. "I'll let you two spend some time alone."

"Wait," said Maddy, when he turned away. "Don't tell me you're going back to New Orleans already. You just got here. Nik, I've hardly seen you, please don't go..."