Chapter 16 - Putting an end to confusion

Caroline's POV:

If I was being honest, seeing Damon so broken last night scared me a little. I've always known him to be the most... confident, cocky, arrogant person. Well vampire. But you get the point!

It was not so surprising to me when Elena started to be a brat. Granted that even I was curious on what Damon and Stefan were talking about. What was that about Klaus' sister?

My neurotic, control-freak self was definitely curious then. But, even I could see how important this girl was to both of them. It was also the first time I saw both of the brothers getting along. But of course, Little Miss Perfect just had to ruin that moment, that bond between the brothers that hadn't surfaced since they were both humans. Before Katherine probably.

I was brought out of my thoughts by Stefan sayin, "I need to talk to you Caroline. It may be better if you know what exactly happened before and after Katherine entered our lives when we were still human. Back in 1864. I think it may clear some of your internal turmoil. About Klaus and Tyler."

I was surprised. How did he know that I was confused. None of the people I called my best friends knew about it. I was with Tyler but I don't think I still loved him. On the other hand, Klaus was amazing. He also said he'd wait till whenever I was ready. And I was slowly starting to fall in love with him too. I just didn't want to betray my friends but now that I think about it Elena hasn't really been my friend since I became a vampire. She had been a little distant and whenever I tried to have any girl time, she would shut me up and tell me that it was more important to get all the details about the ritual.

I know that it was important to do so but we were still only eighteen. It wasn't like we were prepared for all the supernatural world that we got caught up in just last year.

I tuned into the conversation in time to hear Stefan say the name of the newly discovered Mikaelson sister. Isabella Mikaelson. Sounded like a lovely name. Damon's Isa. I could hear Stefan's sad sigh when he said that. Judging by the look on Damon's face and his frantic words to Stefan, she sounded wonderful. I would like to say that I know Damon enough to actually love only the best people. Under all his arrogance, there was a kind of vulnerability which he hid by sarcastic remarks. He had a heart, a very soft and broken one at that, but he had locked it away for someone. Tried to hide his broken heart by his bad boy routine.

I watched as Elena finally left, slamming the door behind her. I winced a little, the sound of the bang ringing in my sensitive ears.

Turning to Stefan I asked, "Stefan? Did you ever actually love Elena? And when are we going to talk?"

He chuckled lightly at my enthusiasm and answered, his tone becoming fonder every time he talked about the woman he viewed as an elder sibling, "I didn't. Not really. I- Izzy had an elder sister. Her name was Rebekah. I used to like her a lot. I'm not really sure I loved her. But she was mesmerising. She had beautiful blonde curls, and bright blue eyes, almost like the female version of Klaus. I cannot believe, I didn't make the connection before. Izzy had brown hair and chocolate brown eyes. They looked the complete opposite of each other. If they were humans in a school, they would probably be each other's rivals in beauty. Since Izzy is an Original, I can only assume she was one too."

"We can talk tomorrow morning Caroline. Damon should be here for it too."

I nodded and left.

Once I reached home, I saw that mom was still not back from the station. I laid in bed thinking about what transpired this evening.

I thought about Isabella.

It was clear that both brothers loved her in their own ways. I was in awe listening to Stefan talking about her. She sounded wonderful and beautiful. I did not miss how Stefan's expression turned almost lovesick at the mention of Isabella's older sister, Rebekah. I would have loved to meet them. I wonder if Klaus would introduce them to me. Or me to the. And how would he introduce me to him. I blushed lightly just thinking about him.

He was handsome, no doubt about that.

Curled dirty-blond hair and light blue-green eyes. Definitely had defined muscles that were shown off by the shirts he wore. Acted like a bad boy. He was what someone like me wished for.

What am I doing? The least I could do is first break up with Tyler. This was a little unfair to him too. I am supposed to be loyal to him, being in a relationship with him, but I am not. And that was not fair to either Tyler or Klaus.

I decided right then that the first thing I would do in the morning would be breaking up with Tyler. At least I could be honest to him.

Sighing, I closed my eyes. Somewhat happy with my decision.

~**~

The next morning, I found myself knocking on Tyler's door.

"We need to talk.", I said as soon as he opened his door.

He looked confused. "Yeah sure. Come on in."

I took a deep breath and entered. He shut the door behind him, locking it, and gestured to the couch in his room.

I sat down and took one of his hands in both of mine.

"Tyler... You know I love you. But lately, it's been more like the type of love that is found between good friends, maybe siblings. I am so sorry. But this is not working out anymore. You're amazing but I just don't feel the same way anymore."

He was silent for a few minutes, and I became worried. What if he lashed out? Would we still be able to be friends? Would this ruin everything? Would-

He blew out a breath and said, "This is because of Klaus, isn't it? You are in love with him now?"

"I- uh- I think I am. But even if I'm not, I haven't been in love with you for some time now... I love you but only as a friend... I am hoping that we could still be friends-", I rambled.

"Care- Caroline. Listen to me. Honestly, I knew this was going to happen either way. It's okay. Calm down. I may need some time but I think we can still work on being friends. Just don't expect me to be all lovey-dovey with the others."

He hadn't even completely finished when I wrapped my arms around him.

"Thank you so much Tyler, for understanding. I really do hope you find someone who you're happy with. I will give you as much time as you need. Just- thank you."

With that, I was feeling much lighter. Now for the conversation with the Salvatores.

I hope you all liked this chapter. Just a little insight on how Caroline felt bout Klaus and Tyler...

Don't forget to

Vote

Comment

Fav

Follow

Love,

D.