dramas and warnings

CHAPTER XIV

She ignored the sweat running freely down her back; at her body's whisper of complaints for putting it through something so miserable. Her hands busied themselves, rearranging the packeted bento, sandwiches, snacks and drinks mindlessly. She would see this through. She was so close to hitting her sale goals for the day.

Today had been good to her. She had caught the small food vendor by his cart right before he packed up; had gotten them all at a discounted price, and despite the ridiculous heat, the clubs were still running trainings all together. Weary folks flocked to her for respite like moths to flame, and with how fast things were moving, she would be hiding in the shade and comfort of her air-con cooled theatre within the next hour.

'Soon now.' she soothed her fraying nerves.

The thought pumped a euphoric wave of energy in her and her movements become more animated while she tended her booth, pouring juices and attending whims with a smile.

"It's damn hot, I hate summer," Sinbi flopped onto the plastic chair behind her, fanning herself with a paper, "Are you done?"

"Almost."

"How much longer?"

"An hour. Less if you're lucky."

"An hour?! In this sun? It's not enough that you made me walk all the way here?"

"No one told you to come. In fact—" Dahyun dug up their conversation over texts, "I told you I'll find you in the theatre after I'm done."

"You were taking so long."

"So don't complain, and sit there pretty for me."

"You're so pale. And soaked from your bones. I'll be like you in no time. At least get me something to drink while I'm tortured horribly for staying next to you."

"How are you with the 'Haughty Ladies'? They get the most going in the summer." Dahyun looked at her in amusement, a cup of cold juice held out, ice clinking, bearing consolation.

"That's what they call us now? How creative," Sinbi deadpanned, but her eyes shone with gratitude.

"It sticks better than the HLAs," referring to the club Sinbi was in. "Some people are bad with remembering random letters put together."

"It doesn't take a genius to remember one's own school name. People can be normal and call us Hanyang Ladies. Or Lads—we're not all girls, it's insulting. I bet the ones to start it are the Six-teens. How embarrassingly juvenile like their namesake, but they're all deep in their twenties. Isn't it high time to grow up? Bunch of ingrates. How do they think they're getting those fundings? With their sad ass?"

"Careful," Dahyun cautioned, "If you hate too much, you love," but she could not blame her friend's bitterness considering her ugly history with the lot.

"Promise to run a sword down my throat if that ever happens."

"To be fair most of the members are ladies. The Lads are actually chummy with the guys. I'd say they are being impressively specific," Dahyun said.

"And hypocritical and sexist. How are they picking only on the girls when we all do the same thing?"

"I know," Dahyun took her now cold hands out of the ice box; palmed them around her neck, refusing to let the sun's and Sinbi's heat get to her, "So drop them. Pick some other nice team to support. Swim team? They're good. A little crazy, but they're sweet."