"Joanna," Mr. Thompson says, shaking his head. "She just... she's such a handful. Sometimes I don't even know why I bother with her."

"Sometimes it is hard," Dad asks, leading Mr. and Mrs. Thompson to the couches. "But you love them and that's why you do it."

Dad sits down next to Mom and motions Mr. and Mrs. Thompson to the two chairs to the right of the couch.

"Right," Mr. Thompson nods. He's tall and gruff, his hair slicked back. He looks like a big businessman. He makes me uncomfortable. I can tell he does Gemma too. I slip an arm around Gemma and feel her relax a little.

"How is Rina?" Mrs. Thompson's brow furrows in concern as she turns her eyes to my mother. "Is she going to be okay?"

"They don't think she'll have any complications," Dad says. He glances at Mr. Thompson a little nervously as Mr. Thompson glares at his wife. "But she's not out of the woods yet. They're expecting months of rehabilitation. She can move her toes a little, but that's all. They're not expecting her to regain her ability to walk. But she might be able to recover some feeling."

"We are so sorry about her," Mrs. Thompson says, sounding genuine. "We never meant for this to happen. I didn't even know Joanna was at the party that night."

"It's alright, hon," Mr. Thompson put a big hand on his wife's knee, giving her a compassionate look.

I can see the small tense in Mrs. Thompson when her husband touches her. I look at Gemma, and as soon as our eyes meet, I know she can too.

Does Mr. Thompson abuse his wife and daughter?

"Unfortunately, we're going to have to press charges," Dad says. "Joanna was drinking while driving."

"Yes," Mrs. Thompson nods. "We understand. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time this has happened."

"Oh really?" Mom cocks her head.

Mrs. Thompson nods. "Three years ago, when Joanna was thirteen, she was with her friend Kayla, and they got in Kayla's parents' car. They crashed the car. Kayla lost her leg. Joanna had a few minor injuries. Our lawyer got her out of jail time, but we had to pay thousands of dollars. The driver they crashed into died instantly."

Mom brought a hand to her mouth. "That's horrible."

Gemma was starting to look nervous. Her hands trembled. Her voice shook when she spoke. "What... What was the girl's name?"

"Who?" Mrs. Thompson asks, turning to Gemma.

"The driver," Gemma says. "That was killed. What... What was her name?"

"Um..." Mrs. Thompson pursed her lips. "I think it was... Scarlett... Violet... something like that. It was a color. Yes, it was a color. Hazel, maybe?"

"Was it, uh," Gemma swallowed. "Was it Jade?"

"Yes, I think that was it," Mrs. Thompson nodded. "How did you know?"

"I..." Gemma's voice broke. I could tell she was struggling to hold back tears. She looked at me briefly, then ran out of the room.

I stood up. "Gemma, wait!" I glance at my parents, then the Thompsons. Then I run after my girlfriend. I find her on the front steps of our front porch, her head in her knees, sobbing.

I sit down next to her and just look out on the horizon. "You alright?"

Gemma doesn't say anything. Just shakes her head, ever so slightly.

"Okay," I say. I don't say anything. I don't do anything. I just sit there, with her, watching the sunset.

The clouds are beautiful. Bits of pink, with dashes of purple and blue against an orange sky. I sit admiring it and thinking everything through for about thirty until Gemma speaks.