↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞

・。

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 1960

Paul replayed the memory of Alexandria walking out of the diner a hundred times as he lit his thousandth cigarette since last night. He laid on his back in the woods during his lunch break. Unsurprisingly, Alexandria hadn't showed up. Instead, George sat beside him, eating a sandwich and stopping only to shove his hands in his pockets. The air was cold, the ground partially frozen. February was Paul's least favorite month. George, however, loved February. Why? Because that was his birth month! He was so close to being seventeen now!

"You didn't say anything?" George asked Paul confusedly. "Seems like an easy question to answer." George paused. "You do still wanna be with her, don't you?"

Paul blew a puff of smoke as he sighed. "Well, yeah. Wouldn't be surprised if she didn't feel the same now, though."

"Have you tried talking to her?"

"Us trying to talk through our issues is what got us into this goddamn mess in the first place, George."

George was pissed. He had been saying for months that George was going to hurt Alexandria...and now he had. He was livid, but he kept his cool. He tried like hell to pretend that he wasn't angry, but he was. He was furious at Paul. "And who was the one that initiated this talk?"

"Alex."

"And, who initiated your last serious talk?"

"Alex."

"Well, maybe if you try and start a serious talk for once, she might not feel like your entire bloody relationship is one sided. Ever thought of that, genius?"

"But, what do I say? Do I tell her that I still wanna be with her so that she can just get mad and ask me why it took me a whole twenty-four hours to come to that conclusion? Doesn't seem too...productive, you know?"

"So, what? You're just going to dodge them and let them build up and explode? How smart of you, Paul," George mumbled.

Paul rubbed a hand across his face, and then he took another drag of his cigarette. "I know you're pissed at me right now," he said to George. "This is your best mate, and I've hurt her. I didn't really mean to, but I did."

"Yeah, I'm bloody pissed at you right now." George scoffed. Because she deserves someone better than you...and maybe that could be me, he thought, but he wagered it was best not to say it aloud.

"Sorry, Geo." Paul paused. "You're the one that made it all so damn complicated."

"Oh, so this is my fault now?" George asked, furrowing his eyebrows in a bitter rage.

"Yeah, you went off and bloody snogged her, made her question literally everything. She reads into things too much, George. You know that, I know you do. You made her fuckin' confused. She didn't hide the kiss from me for nothing. I'm not that bloody dumb."