↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

・。

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 1959

Alexandria lugged a box into the library, the plastic name tag on her lanyard clicking against the box as she walked. 

"Where should I put this?" she asked the librarians, wanting to put them down more than anything because they were making her backache just from carrying them. Or rather, that's why she thought her back was hurting. She hadn't any other sort of explanation, after all.

"Take them to the storage room," Florence told me with a grin. "You can have the special honor of opening and labeling them." The older lady winked. "The labels are already in there. You've just got to put them on."

"All right," Alexandria replied with a smile before lugging the huge box into the back room. When she placed the box onto the floor, she stretched her back out, placing a hand on it. Hell, she felt a bit like an old lady right now. 

She had been working at the library for about two weeks now, having officially landed the job just days after her birthday. Her work generally consisted of sorting through books, putting them on the shelves, and fixing labels whenever they appeared to be falling off. She also did a lot of cleaning. When she ran out of things to do, the librarians she worked for had no problem with her searching the shelves for a book to entertain herself. It was a very easy job, and it was nice having a bit of money in her pocket too, especially when she spent the afternoons that she had off wandering the streets with Paul.

She loved working in the library around the kindest women she knew and the books she loved more than anything. That being said, she was tired today, and ready to go home and take a long, long nap. She'd lost sleep the past few days over schoolwork. She was missing a lot of work, and she was quickly running out of time to catch up on all of it before fall break in two weeks. She had decided to get a head start on it, but it was hard to get all of that done when she was simultaneously trying not to fall even more behind.

Alexandria reached for a knife to slice open the tape keeping the box in front of her closed. The flaps of cardboard on all four sides popped up as soon as the tape was cut, and Alexandria was hit in the face with the glorious smell of new books. She smiled to herself as she began to unpack all of the titles, some that she recognized and some that she didn't. Once she had a bountiful stack of books, she stood and went on the hunt for the labels that Florence had told her she had already made.

She found them laying on a table nearby and took them along with some clear stickers that she was to put them on with. She hummed as she went to work. The work was mindless. After she did it a few times, she fell into a routine and it became like a reflex to her. This was when she let her mind wander to things other than her work. 

She thought about Paul, and her heart warmed in happiness. Part of her was shocked at how lovely he had been since the start of their relationship. She'd known him for so long since he'd been friends with George for so long, but all he had ever done was torment her. She could only recall one time when her father had jokingly suggested that it was because he liked her. She'd always scoffed at the idea that a boy teasing her meant that he liked her because when they liked girls, boys were supposed to act like Paul acted with her now. Tormenting someone definitely wasn't going to get them to like you back.