Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Asking for forgiveness, not just from Vickie but others," Eden said.

Bella groaned and stirred, making eye contact with him. "Where am I?" she slurred. "Did you kidnap me?"

"No, I'm reforming you, or I'll drug you again," Eden threatened. "I told you not to push me."

"You drugged me!" Bella freaked trying to stand, but falling over.

"God wanted us all to bond together for redemption and reform," Eden chimed, smiling at the two of them.

"I'm not doing this!" Bella exclaimed, dragging herself to the door.

"I can numb your movements," Eden threatened, but Bella stopped. "Your soldier isn't in danger, but God is protecting him."

Stick wanted to find a way to be forgiven or change somehow. He didn't have a clue where to start, especially after murdering someone.

"We must help each other," Eden started, crossing her legs. "Bella, you must focus on the healthy way of using God. Stick wants redemption, and you need to spend time in isolation."

"I'm not isolating myself. I can't stand being alone," Bella grumbled.

Eden had her eyes closed. "Yes, but your soldier is off doing something without you."

"That has nothing to do with that!"

"Yes, but God will help you change."

Stick looked at Bella, lips pressed together. How did the golden boy and golden girl end up being interrogated? If this had been a regular society, both of them wouldn't have felt pressured to change.

Bella had her looks and often went to all the sports games, basking in her popularity. Stick had been like her, enjoying praise from teammates and outsiders.

When this started, he was actually the one who tied Bella up. He was all going through with Henry's idea that they should kill her. Henry was his friend, who had died of hypothermia after falling through the ice. According to what he had heard, he basically fainted.

Stick and Bella were no longer the golden boy and golden girl. He had murdered someone and helped the killers. Bella had gone from doing any mission to wanting to stay away from harm, especially Jason. Stick and Bella never needed the help, but people gave it to them if they needed it.

Now, they were in a place that was once a drug house, being interrogated by someone who wasn't just some religious girl. It was the second time he actually felt threatened by a girl his age.

Eden laced her tan hands together. "I must teach you the right way to live. We must face our fears and change our beliefs."

From the golden boy and golden girl to the killer and housewife. They were just simple terms that people already knew about the endearing amount of gossip flowing. Caring about status ended months ago. Everyone could still find something; they'd call you or spill out the information.

"God, I'll set them on the right road," Eden mumbled. "Matthew, I want you to focus on what you'd say if Vickie were here."

He had seen her as one of those followers—some called illusions—that use the purple substance that has leaked through the ditches. Thinking about what he would say scared him.

"And Bella, you have to stop using God in the ways you do. That's why I want you to go into isolation," Eden added.

Stick didn't get the idea of why Eden wanted Bella in isolation. It could be something she knows or assumes. Stick would try to figure out the words he'd say, even if he shouldn't be saying them.