Chapter 25: And There Be Media

Start from the beginning

"As I said, there is no one by that name in this school. The real question is how you ever found out about my quirk? UA is quite strict with protecting their students' privacy outside of the sports festival."

His words rang to deaf ears as the reporter's statement had been heard by those closest to them even in the cacophony of the crowd and the word was starting to circulate.

"The quirk stealer?"

"...that white haired kid?"

"Don't go too close."

"Your words shame your channel. Despite prejudice like yours he is one of the most heroic people I've met and a great friend."

Suddenly Izuku was no longer being pushed on all sides by the crowd having increasing amount of space which moved with him as he took a step. It was easy to scare away the reporters that had been harassing Hitoshi with a simple glare. Tenya had managed to drown out the questions from the reporter who made the mistake of trying to stop him in his unstoppable lecture. Izuku just tapped his shoulder when walking past. Tenya took the chance to get out of the crowd and they soon walked past the teachers, including Aizawa and Present Mic, who were trying to control the crowd at the gate.

"Wait!" The annoying reporter came after Izuku. "Do you feel any shame for stealing people's quirks?"

Izuku almost stopped but Tenya's gentle push on his shoulder kept him moving.

"Hey, can you move? I am trying to interview that kid."

"No. Get out of here. You have harassed my students enough."

...

"All right if you don't come for an interview, I'll get in there myself."

"Hey hold on."

A siren sounded followed by loud clangs as the gate slammed shut.

"Those people bring shame to their profession," Tenya said.

"And they knew about my quirk and that I study here," Izuku said quietly. "The only time even the possibility of that has been seen by people kind of publicly was during the entrance when..."

Izuku paused and when he spoke again it was with venom and barely contained rage.

"Bakugo."

"You think he did..."

"Absolutely. He thinks he is entitled to always win. After yesterday he could definitely lash out. He did the same during the entrance exam telling everyone about my quirk. He called me quirk stealer just like that reporter. The only surprising thing is that he got so many reporters to come here so quickly."

"Not necessarily," Tenya said, holding a finger in the air while holding his chin with his other hand. "They were also very interested in All Might being a teacher. They might have come here for that anyway and heard about you just in time."

"Maybe," Izuku said. "It won't change what he did. My quirk has always been something everyone around me knew but it never really became public knowledge. I'm... not sure what this will mean."

"Just remember. The people who are worth you caring about their opinion aren't going to change," Hitoshi assured. "People were always going to find out by the time you become a hero, probably at the sports festival at the latest. You just got a bad first impression and for a lot of people that was always going to happen."

Izuku hummed uncertainly and glanced back at the gate behind them, and at Aizawa who was following them. Hitoshi inched closer and a little behind him to block his view.