13 - Myth and Legend

Sausage cowered at the foot of Xornoth, he watched as his master glared down Scott, who stood by a pile of shattered glass.

"Should I-"

"No..." Sausage faltered, he had been enslaved by Xornoth for a month now, but his shadowy voice still sent shivers down Sausages spine. "You stay here..." Swallowing the lump in his throat, Sausage bowed then faded into the background, his hands behind his back and his posture straight.

Scott slowly rose upwards, each step his ice stilts grew. Xornoth smiled an amused grin, his purple features turning red. Xornoth glanced at Sausage, who teetered fretfully away from the Demon.

Dismounting the Stilts, Scott jumped onto the main hall roof. The discarded stilts toppled town, smashing in the roof of his stable.

"Oops..." He laughed, Xornoth slowly broke into hysteria, the brothers shared great similarity in voice, Xornoth with a lower cackle. 

"Alinar..." Xornoth's spine wriggled a stress-relieving crack, his whole body readjusted, clicking together like the hilt on a diamond blade. "You had me going for a second..." Scott lost his fits of childish giggles and paused with a confused look on his face. "I was in that Crystal for 3 months!" He snapped, his body language turning vicious and accusatory.

"I need to cause some trouble!" He tensed all his muscles, his body began to grow, but then shrank down to regular size. 

"Don't think I'd let you off so easy." Scott laughed, reveling in his state of shock. "Remember last time, when you roamed free..." A baffled Xornoth didn't reply, he just stood aghast at Scotts betrayal.

"What are you doing?" Xornoth tried to grow again, but he just returned to his regular size, smaller, if that. "You bring me back just to be a common house pet?" 

"Hey," Scott barked. "It turns out, we're connected. If I you die, we both die..." Scott tossed a tattered auburn book at Xornoth.

"The book of prophecies..." He gaped. "Where did you get this?"

"It washed up in my lake, Lizzie must've had it when she... you know..." Silence befell the pair.

"Lizzie..." Xornoth mused. "The Axolotl, if I'm not mistaken." Scott nodded dubiously. "How did the Axolotl get this?" Scott opened his mouth to speak, then rescinded into an awkward slouch.

"I don't know," He shrugged. "but see to page 8,"

Xornoth flicked through the sodden book, stopping at a yellow stained page.

"Twin souls trapped in an endless battle since the beginning of time, chaos and order, light and dark, hot and cold. One can not exist without the other, for if one soul dies, the other is sure to follow.... Well that's explicit..." Xornoth grumbled, slamming the book and tossing it over at Sausage.

Sausage caught the book, he opened the first page, The Book of Prophecies, future and past was inscribed. He felt his hands grow weak, he felt diminished in the presence of an acient book, such as this one. Was it all really true?

A Master of the Magic craft will impart their knowledge upon eager peers... Gems wizard School? A coronet will circulate the world, bestowing ultimate power upon the wearer... The crown of Empires.

It was true, all of it, the Fathers turning Son, the fall of red spires, every word had been meticulously picked out to tell stories in time...

"Slave..." Sausages tranced was broken by the demanding voice of an enraged demon. "Read no further..." 

"But surely if we read on we can find out what might happen in the future?" Sausage said, realizing his mistake seconds after. Scott clapped his hand over his mouth, despite being as powerful as Xornoth, Aeor's Champion still feared Xornoth's wrath.

With swift movements, Xornoth grabbed Sausage by the throat, holding him up in the air.

"You dare speak back to me?" Xornoth chimed, his voice a low snarl. Sausage choked as he tried to speak. Xornoth's grip tightened, Sausage starting clawing at the demons bony arm. "I have no reason not to kill you, so why should I spare you?" As Xornoth's clutch loosened, Sausage managed to gasp-

"A golden age will return...." Sausage was dropped, he fell to his knees in a shambled mess. Scott didn't move, he just stood sheepishly by Xornoth. "Page 25..."

Xornoth opened the page, almost breaking the spine of the book. His eyes scattered across the page, they slowly bubbled with unkempt rage.

"WHAT?" His shriek echoed through the mountain, no doubt being heard throughout empires. "ALINAR WHAT DOES HE SPEAK OF?" 

"I'd imagine he speaks of a dawning golden age- but it really depends on who its a golden age for!" Scott reasoned, trying to keep the peace. Xornoth sat tempted by the idea, but he soon returned to bitter anger. 

"It better be a 'golden age' for us!" Scott and Xornoth broke out into an argument, and amidst it all, Sausage noticed a portal appearing by the ruins of the Church of Aeor. 

Out stepped FWhip, The tinkerer noticed Sausage, and almost fell down from shock. He started to step over towards the main hall, when he noticed Xornoth standing beside Sausage. His eyes bulged as he stifled a yelp.

"No..." Sausage mouthed. "don't help..." FWhip had a baffled look on his face, he then replied with a thumbs up, and a mouthing of 'I'll be back'.