"She came snooping," said Dr. Maxfield. "It's a shame Grayson Gilbert's daughter ended up a vampire. He'd be ashamed to see her like this."

The doppelgänger was deposited in the cell on the other side of Maddy, the one that had belonged to Enzo before.

"Elena!" cried Maddy, reaching around the bars as Dr. Maxfield left again. "Elena! Wake up, please wake up..." She bit into her wrist, whimpering in pain and reaching her hand around, hoping that she could drip some blood onto Elena's lips. Some part of it had to help her regain consciousness.

At last, the other woman stirred, grunting as she lifted herself up. "Maddy?" she whispered. "Damon—?"

"Are you okay?" asked Damon worriedly. "Dr. Maxfield injected you with vervain... I think. Maybe when it wears off of us, we'll be able to—" he gripped the cell bars and tried to shake them, "uh— break through these."

"What the hell is going on?" asked Elena. "Why are you here? Why am I here? I just— I knew you had some business in Whitmore and I followed and found your car abandoned... and your cell phones seemed to be in this building..."

"Dr. Maxfield is carrying out the grand Augustine tradition," muttered Damon. "Getting his kicks off vampire torture."

"Did he tell you that?"

"He didn't have to. Mads and I have been here before. Someone in our family sold us out to the Augustines in 1953. Every day, this nut job Dr. Whitmore tortured us, cut into us, took pieces of our eyes out, pushed us to every limit he could imagine, and he had quite the imagination."

"Everyday he chipped away pieces of my uterus," mumbled Maddy dejectedly. "And every day those bits would grow back."

"Oh my god... Maddy..."

"We were in these cells before," said Maddy. "The exact same ones."

"How long—?"

"Five years."

"How did you not go crazy?"

"We weren't the only ones here," said Maddy. "There was a vampire named Enzo. Lorenzo, and he didn't know his last name. Born in 1882, orphaned from a very young age, sent to the workhouses. Turned 1903. He was a soldier in Europe during World War II. Dr. Whitmore was working in a battlefield hospital when he discovered Enzo was a vampire. So he drugged him, locked him in a coffin, and shipped him overseas. He'd already been here for ten years before we arrived. He's the reason we kept sane."

"You need to live for the future," Enzo had said. "Both of you."

Damon snorted. "What future?"

"The one where you get your revenge," said Enzo. "For instance, in my future, my revenge will start with killing Whitmore's dog and mailing it to his house postage due. Go on. Picture your revenge. Use your imagination."

"I can see it," whispered Damon, starting to carve something on the wall.

"We can't see anything," mentioned Maddy, causing Enzo to chuckle.

"After I've taken out the entire Augustine Society," murmured Damon, whose voice wasn't hoarse solely because he'd been drinking Enzo and Maddy's blood rations. "I'll kill every member of the Whitmore family."

"Boo!" said Enzo weakly, trying to reach for Maddy through the bars when he heard her snickering lightly. "I said use your imagination."

"Except one person," added Damon, making the other two vampires perk up. "I'll let that person grow up, start a family, and then I'll start killing Whitmores again. And then I'll take out the generation after that, leaving only one person to carry on the name, and then I'll take out the generation after that and so on, and so on, and so on."