53. Paradox of Knowing the Future

AUTHOR'S NOTE !

it's been so long since we've had a chapter of just the trix interacting

   NIA SITS ON HER BED.

   She's back at the Trix base, having gone there with Sara and Stela. Neither of the three said much during their quite short journey to the base, simply basking in the presence of all three members of the Trix together, reunited.

   Nia's been thinking a lot, trying to figure out how to explain her situation to Sara and Stela. She realizes she might just be overthinking it, and it would be easier if she simply explained what happened to her. That she'd seen Death, but she wasn't there to claim her soul and lead her to a better place.

   Nia bites her lip. Clean after a long warm bath and clothed, she stares at the stone wall before her. Her eyes graze over the coat thrown over a chair, thinking she'll have to go see Niki soon and bring it back.

   A knock is heard on the door. Nia doesn't even get to reply before Stela's tall figure slips inside the room, her fox ears perked and tail raised, she stares at Nia with slight disbelief still hidden behind her gaze.

   The princess smiles and taps the empty space next to her on the bed. Stela returns the gesture, sitting down with a nod.

   "I'm sorry I didn't help you guys in the battle," says Stela, her eyes fixated on the floor. She fiddles with her hands, biting on her lip. The guilt in her voice makes Nia frown. "When you were gone, I, uh . . . I kept thinking that maybe you wouldn't have been gone if I didn't refuse to fight in your war just because it's none of my business. I mean . . . it was your war. I didn't give a shit about— about L'Manberg, you know? I was just focused on protecting—"

   "Ranboo?" Nia finishes for Stela, who nods without looking up at the princess. "It's okay, you know? I mean, I don't know why you're so invested in Ranboo and his safety, but if that's what matters to you, then that's okay. You staying out of our war was completely understandable. I mean— we wouldn't force you to fight alongside us. We're not— that's not how we operate. Or want to operate . . ." Nia sighs, shaking her head.

   Stela runs her hand over her face, wiping away a rogue tear. "Still, both you and Sara were going against L'Manberg . . ." her voice breaks, and she finally looks at Nia, who smiles at her without a single hint of accusation. "I should've fought with you, because that's what we're supposed to do. As the Trix."

   Nia licks her lips. "Maybe." She shrugs. "But you were always saying it's none of your business, and that's a valid reason not to fight. We all knew what we were signing up for. And that it would be dangerous. Nobody blames you for missing out on what was basically a suicide mission."

   Stela hugs herself, smiling thinly at Nia.

   "Besides, I'm very much alive, and here. So, if I'm going to invalidate your feelings, it's going to be this pity party of yours. You're literally beating yourself up over something that hasn't happened. Specifically, my death." Nia chuckles, watching Stela's smile grow a bit.

   "You are an idiot," says Stela quietly.

   "Oh, I've heard that one too many times."

   Another knock is heard at the door to Nia's room. Nia and Stela watch Sara slip inside the room cautiously, though there's nothing to be worried about.

   "I heard talking from the outside," she tells the two women. "I hope I'm not interrupting or anything . . ."

   Nia shakes her head. "Actually, no," she says. "This is perfect, now that you're both here."

   "What do you mean?" Stela questions with a raised eyebrow.

   Nia heaves a breath, glancing between Stela and Sara. "Before I came to Technoblade's place, I actually, uh . . . I saw Death—"

   "You saw Death?" Sara repeats, not letting Nia finish her sentence.

   "Yes, I saw Death." Nia nods. "But she wasn't— she didn't want to take me to heaven or hell or whatever. She, uh, she just came to tell me that I'm not done in this world yet."

   "What?" Stela asks. "What's that supposed to mean?"

   "That we're the Trix, and our job kind of isn't done yet?" says Nia, her voice uncertain. "I mean, she basically told me that sometime soon, we're— we're going to get a chance to keep the contents of the Revival Book safe."

   "How? We can't get the book from Dream. That's almost impossible—"

   "We don't even know where he could possibly have it—"

   "She didn't say we have to have the book in our possession to protect it," says Nia significantly, looking at Sara and Stela. "Like I said, we're gonna get a chance to protect the book's contents, not the book itself. I just— I don't know what it's supposed to mean."

   Sara frowns, and Stela pulls a face of both distaste and confusion.

   "Why do they always have to be so vague?" Stela mumbles under her breath.

   "Who's they?" questions Sara.

   "The gods and goddesses," Stela replies. "They can never give a straight answer, I'm really starting to hate that."

   "You do know we are goddesses, right? I mean, minor, but still goddesses." Nia raises an eyebrow at Stela, who shakes her head.

   "At least we're not being fucking vague," she says indignantly.

   "You do realize we haven't told anybody that we should be protecting the Revival Book, right?" asks Sara, an amused scoff leaving her lips. "We get vague whenever the topic of why we're the Trix is brought up."

   "Fine, then maybe I'm a hypocrite," Stela sighs, massaging her temples. "I still hate other people being vague with us. Especially Death, and about this. Why not just tell us directly?"

   "Maybe because it could change the flow of things?" Nia suggests with a shrug. "Like, if she told us what is going to happen directly, then we would've probably butchered it by trying to make it happen."

   "'Tis the paradox of knowing the future and trying to prevent it," says Sara.

   Nia and Stela give her looks.

   "What?" she shrugs.

   Nia chuckles. "Nothing."