50. Lack of Happy Endings

"THAT IS A LOT OF DOGS."

   Dream stares at more than a dozen dogs, all stationed in a small base that Techno built near L'Manburg without anybody noticing. Which is strange considering it's filled with animals that aren't necessarily quiet. They bark at Dream when he tries to come near and pet them, the man pulling his hand back almost immediately. Nia can imagine the hurt look on his face. She can even imagine him mumbling something along the lines of, this is why I like cats more, under his breath.

   "You know, when you said we gotta get your hound army, I didn't expect a literal army." Nia's brows are furrowed as she approaches the dogs. A few of them run up to her, their tongues stuck out, wiggling their tails. She smiles and strokes their fur. Dream glares at her, and she flicks her middle finger at him, a pleased smirk making its way to her lips. "Stick to cats, green man."

   "Didn't you want to steal my cat once?"

   Nia gasps, "I can't believe you still remember that . . . it was so fucking long ago."

   Dream shrugs.

   Technoblade glances at Nia and Dream with a raised brow, shaking his head. "Look, L'Manburg has a no-killing-pets policy if I'm not mistaken, so technically, they're not allowed to touch my dogs, and therefore, we win," he says, proudly.

   It isn't his actual plan, but he's most definitely counting on the L'Manburgians hesitating at first, before they attack the anarchists and the dogs. The only person who's never had an issue with killing somebody's pets before is Sapnap. (Nia's heard about Tommy's pet cow, Henry.)

   "Mate, you really think they won't break their own policy?" Phil raises a brow at the piglin anarchist, and Technoblade shrugs in response, waving his hand at Phil, as if to say everything will be fine in the end.

   A part of Nia thinks that Techno is convinced a bigger amount of his dogs will even survive today.

   "How did you even manage to take care of this many dogs?" asks Dream, tilting his head to the side. He's given up on trying to pet the dogs that growl at him, but are friendly with Nia, Techno and Phil. "I didn't even know they were here, and it's in the Dream SMP."

   "I don't disclose my secrets, Dream."

   "Shit!" Dream exclaims when he notices Sara and Stela standing on the outskirts of L'Manburg, thinking that they're stationed there as defenders of the country.

   Nia chuckles, shaking her head. Dream turns in her direction questioningly, though he doesn't say anything. The princess shrugs.

   "Sara's going to help us, and Stela still doesn't give a shit about L'Manburg," she says, elaborating. Dream subtly nods in response, his attention reverted back to the country before them.

   Nia watches the shock on Sara and Stela's faces as Technoblade's hound army comes into view. All of the dogs stop with Techno, just on the border between the Dream SMP and L'Manburg. Nia, Phil and Dream do the same. Instead of coming to the two remaining members of the Trix, they wait for them to approach.

   "What the hell, Techno," is Sara's first sentence. She greets everybody with a nod, and a smile meant only for Nia.

   There is tension to the redhead as she nears Nia, the uneasiness settling in her stomach. A part of her is rethinking her decision of destroying L'Manburg and finishing Wilbur's job, but another part of her knows that it's how it should be. The country has hurt more people than it has helped, and everyone refuses to see it. They won't once it's gone, though.